DM Software: What is our there?

Fairytale

First Post
I'm currently running a game of Basic D&D, and while I've always been a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to technology, I'm slowly converting to a more digital DMing style. My DM Screen has become the reverse side of my laptop monitor and I'm preferring it this way, but I feel there's so much more I could be doing to streamline my games.
I don't want to just create digital maps, I'd like interactive ones. Is there any kind of software that facilitates a map that will allow me to simply click on any room and see all pertinent information I've entered previously (monsters, treasure, traps, changes made by PCs etc)?
There are plenty of other tools out there I'm sure I could utilise as well, but I think what I'm after is one interface with the map, combat tracker, note making sections and more all on one screen, so there's minimal flicking from screen to screen.
It wouldn't need to be specific to Basic D&D, and I'm still happy with rolling dice, but my goal is to convert to an almost entirely paperless game.

Any suggestions?

Quickleaf

Legend
For the clickable map you describe...I don't think there is anything out there explicitly designed for RPGs.

One I've been keeping my eye on is RealmWorks, which may have that feature when it comes out: http://www.wolflair.com/realmworks

Otherwise, I'd make due with some mind-mapping software like FreeMind. Personally I like that better than MasterPlan as I find MasterPlan too unwieldy with how much setup and clicking needs to happen before I can input text. And MasterPlan is designe dot be used with 4e, though you could manipulate it to do Basic.

I imagine there might be some creative hacks out there, however, to do something akin to what you describe...

Wangalade

Explorer
there is a program called rpg manager that allows you to make hex or square maps with names of each tile and a place to write a description. it also allows you to put character stats in a charsheet and then those characters can be placed on the maps and moved around. there are a wide range of things it can do it is more than just about making maps, it can keep track of many different things in the game. it can be found at http://www.rpgmanager.net/Home.htm

Fairytale

First Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Realmworks looks very promising! I'll be returning to try that once it's released.

I'm checking out RPG Manager for now, it looks to have a lot of the features I'm after.

Remove ads