• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM wanting to compensate for hight stats..

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
@Mkill: I have played more 4E that the other players and have found that the hybrids can work well to achieve a specific flavor or abilities even though they are suboptimal. The players are newer... =)

We are shifting the Paladin hybrid to straight Paladin with Student of Battle.

Healing: fair enough, good point

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Third: 4th edition groups don't need NPC healers to travel with them.

While I was suggesting a leader type might be cool I wasnt even thinking about the healing aspect (I guess that did used to be the thing)... my idea was emphasizing buff and enable extra attacks. Though with Paladin and half cleric maybe the Warlock squishy might work better.

Gruns

Explorer
Looking at the makeup of the original 2E group... I bet the first thing they ask is "Where can we buy a dozen Cure Light Wands?"... ;)
Later!
Gruns

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
LOL!

Only 2 were from the same group: the ranger/Cleric and the Paladin

The other 2 came from different campaigns... =)

jbear

First Post
My group has +7 points to distribute as well, which results in something like 18, 16 12, 12, 10, 8. They feel a good bump above the norm. Your group is considerably higher. They are unlikely to struggle with survival even though they are only 4 PCs.

Hybrids become a lot less sub-optimal with such a high array of stats.

To make it challenging for the pcs I try and add alot of other elements to combat.

-non-combat ways to resolve combat as combat goes on
-hazards that increase the difficulty of combat if not resolved through non-combat actions as combat goes on
-fantastic terrain features that complicate combat or add a new dimension to combat
-combat and simultaneous skill challenges to resolve some of the above situations
-occaisional hard-core combats placed at the limit of their capabilities (lv+5 plus hazard)
-combat terrain that places pcs at an initial serious disadvantage against the enemies
-DC of skill challenges slightly higher and deadly elements occaisionally added.

Anyway, just try it out. Experiment what the pcs can and can't take. learn by trial and error. Combat is still just one element of the game, no matter what anyone says. Personally, the RP elements of my game are run along the same lines as every other edition I've run. And if it's not necessary to pick up the dice, then leave them still. In which case the stats don't mean a thing.

Remove ads