D&D 5E DMG excerpt: Carousing!

MechaPilot

Explorer
The Ritual Caster feat can get you rituals without spell slots.

Sure, but the actual rule for crafting requires you to be a caster with spell slots. Again, we can all ignore that requirement if we want to (and I plan to). However, they did word the option for PCs to create magic items such that you must be a caster who casts spells through spell slots. Therefore, according to the DMG rule, ritual caster won't make you able to create magic items, neither will magic initiate (even if the spell you can cast is the spell the item reproduces).

Sure, but the actual rule for crafting requires you to be a caster with spell slots. Again, we can all ignore that requirement if we want to (and I plan to). However, they did word the option for PCs to create magic items such that you must be a caster who casts spells through spell slots. Therefore, according to the DMG rule, ritual caster won't make you able to create magic items, neither will magic initiate (even if the spell you can cast is the spell the item reproduces).

Ah, I missed that. Good to know.

JoeCrow

Explorer
What I'm thinking is that non-casters can create some magic items (mostly stuff like +1 weapons and armor, low-level stuff like that), but they need a proficiency bonus of at least +4, and it takes them a lot longer than it would for a caster. That way you can have your occasional legendarily skilled weaponsmith that can make a handful of "magic swords" or whatever without having him be a caster. I dunno if I'll actually quantify how much longer it takes them, probably something like a 10x time factor or something like that.
Other special magic items I'm thinking sometimes just happen, like flameswords happen when you kill an adult red dragon with a crit or stuff like that. Most of this stuff is gonna be a once in a campaign kinda trip, though.

There's also the BoEF, which is a pretty decent book on handling the topic (though the mechanical bits are really where the book stumbles), despite WotC's overreaction to the book.

Some of my favorite immature games used that book... I really want to transfer some of the spells...

[sblock=enter at own risk] grope would be a funny cantrip, and the one that forced an orgasm was a funny SoS effect, but Kiss of life was a good spell for any book[/sblock]

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Since magic item creation calls for a formula...I intend (for now) to make said "formulas" into rituals. Then let someone with the ritual caster feat (dwarf uber magic craftsman) to make thematically appropriate items.

I am aware there is some rule bending and stretching involved, just suggesting a solution for others.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases