D&D General DMs: Do you buy and/or run official adventures?

As a DM, what is your relationship to official adventures?

• I am not a DM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am a DM, and I do not buy or run official adventures

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • I am a DM, and I buy, but do not run official adventures at all

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • I am a DM, and I run official adventures but do not buy them

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • I am a DM, and I buy official adventures to steal bits for my own adventures

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • I am a DM, and I sometimes buy and run official adventures

Votes: 31 59.6%
  • I am a DM, and I only run official adventures

Votes: 2 3.8%

Reynard

Legend
I have mentioned this elsewhere, but:

Since i started running mostly online (2018ish) I have run mostly official modules because I find running in my usual style (low prep, improvisational) difficult on Fantasy Grounds. Prior to that I only very rarely used modules at all, and even more rarely AP/campaign style adventures.

I still run in person at conventions and ALWAYS create homebrew adventures for that (as a point of pride, even). If I was able to run in person more, I would probably stop using premade adventures.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
At the moment, I own physical copies of Journeys through the Radiant Citadel and Tales from the Yawning Portal, and once my next Noble Knight store credit comes through, I'll be getting the hobby shop cover of Witchlight to replace my mass market cover version.

I have run Lost Mines of Phandelver (and if they publish the original version in PoD on DMs Guild, I'll snatch that up in a heartbeat) several times and just started a Radiant Citadel campaign on Sunday. I've also run an adventure from the Candlekeep compilation. If I had players interested in it, and the time to do so, I would also be up for running Curse of Strahd or Ghosts of Saltmarsh, but own neither of them at the moment.

As far as non-WotC published adventures, I'm also running Ptolus (previously homebrew, but now starting to align with the high-level endgame campaign for that setting, starting with a leveled-up version of the Banewarrens) and Empire of the Ghouls (reskinned to be in the same world as Ptolus) campaigns in play by post fashion and am running An Unexpected Wedding Invitation for coworkers.

I ran nearly all of the 1E adventures pre-Dragonlance, at which point I stopped DMing regularly. The only 2E adventures I can recall running were the Diablo tie-ins, which I moved to Mystara. I don't think I ran any 3E adventures other than Sunless Citadel.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
I really like the box sets and managed to expand them and also use them as a base for additional campaigns. Same for Yawning Portal where I used some parts. The only total campaign book I have run was the Princes of the Apocalypse.

I tend to like the smaller level 1-5ish box sets or something I can pull out a module and use for a few levels. The 1-15 campaign was a bit of a drag.

Remove ads