D&D General DMs: Do you review notes right before playing?

Do you review notes right before playing?

• Yes, always

Votes: 32 46.4%
  • Usually

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • No, never

Votes: 5 7.2%

Tutara

Adventurer
I do, but my notes are usually akin to the fevered ramblings of a madman. Luckily my players also take notes, so I always start with a ‘recap’ wherein I nod sagely as they tell me what I should be doing.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Sometimes.

It depends on what I am running, where the game is at, etc. Most of the stuff I'll remember without needing to review it, but there are definitely times I do need to review before playing!

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I don't need notes. Much of the content is generated at the table as we're playing and we see where that goes. My prep is done usually about a year in advance of the campaign starting.

Stormonu

Legend
I review past notes before the game.

I also do my best to have as detailed notes for planned/expected upcoming activities. At least several days in advance, as it takes a day or two for ideas to properly cook in my brain. Helps that I'm generally running pre-prepared adventures and the like, but my own write-ups tend be as equally fleshed out or detailed. I consider myself somewhat poor at "winging it".

Mezuka

Hero
Always review the last game notes and the notes for the next session. But I don't study. I do it on Wednesday (15 minutes) and Friday (15 minutes) during the day before the game.

I usually prepare my adventures on Sunday for about 1 hour.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Yes but my notes have become more and more sparse over the years. For a dungeon game it's bullet points about what's in the room and a note about anything that might be foreshadowing something later so I don't forget about the linkage. For more character-oriented games its bullet point lists of what the bad guy's plot is, names and short descriptions of NPCs and their involvement in the plot, lists of locations and who is there, etc. Along with a review of the cyrptic notes I wrote to myself during the previous session so I know where to pick up.

Remove ads