• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General DMs Guild and DriveThruRPG ban AI written works, requires labels for AI generated art

ECMO3

Hero
TBH I think we need to move past the whole idea of intellectual property. Let people produce and sell what they want regardless of who produced it originally or who it was inspired by. If someone publishes something and it is available for others to purchase it should be available for others to purchase, copy and resell as their own as well.

At the end of the day, the current system tends to concentrate the power and profit into large corporations.

soviet

Hero
And I'm saying that if I specify to the AI what it is that I want and tweak it further afterwards, I'm "playing the keys." If the AI is achieving my vision as I direct it to, then it's my art.

So if the head of Slash's record label told him to play a guitar solo in a certain style and tempo, that label boss is the artist?

soviet

Hero
TBH I think we need to move past the whole idea of intellectual property. Let people produce and sell what they want regardless of who produced it originally or who it was inspired by. If someone publishes something and it is available for others to purchase it should be available for others to purchase, copy and resell as their own as well.

At the end of the day, the current system tends to concentrate the power and profit into large corporations.
I don't think allowing Disney to copy-paste-resell everyone else's IP is going to have the monopoly-busting power you think it will.

Scribe

Legend

And you think removing intellectual property rights is going to help keep corps in check?

Who has all the capital and distribution to capitalize on this, your average mom and pop, or a mega Corp?

Sacrosanct

Legend
And I'm saying that if I specify to the AI what it is that I want and tweak it further afterwards, I'm "playing the keys." If the AI is achieving my vision as I direct it to, then it's my art.

Someone sold "art" created by a chimp for tens of thousands of dollars. If getting a chimp to do the work for you is art, why not AI?

I'm guessing the person didn't try to claim they were an artist when the chimp did the work. So no different than AI. If AI is doing the work, you're not the artist.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So if the head of Slash's record label told him to play a guitar solo in a certain style and tempo, that label boss is the artist?
Yep. In exactly the same way that the guy who wrote the song Slash is playing is an artist, despite Slash also being an artist. They are creating music through him. Two artists.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Let me put it like this. You can use AI without the simplest understanding of how art/music composition works. "I'm a musician, but I have no idea what notes are, or what harmony is, or how to read sheet music, or know how to play or sing literally anything."
Other than the last clause, that pretty much sums me up as a musician: I don't know harmonies, can't read sheet music, and have no idea what the mathematics are behind what a note is.

But I can hear in my mind what I want a tune to sound like and if it's within my (somewhat limited) skill I can vaguely replicate that on a keyboard, and-or more closely replicate it (if out of tune) with my voice. That tells me you don't need any of that formal training or knowledge etc. in order to make music - playing by ear is equally valid.
You're telling a machine to do the work for you. How is that any different than telling a worker to do the work, and then claiming you did it?
It isn't.

But how many times have you heard someone say "I built a house on Cannery Road..." when what they really mean is that they paid someone else (or more likely a bunch of someone elses) to build it and in fact did little if any of the actual work.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'm guessing the person didn't try to claim they were an artist when the chimp did the work. So no different than AI. If AI is doing the work, you're not the artist.
Then if a painter uses a paint brush, he's not an artist. A tool is a tool. Finger painting is the only true painting art!!! :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads