D&D General DMs Guild and DriveThruRPG ban AI written works, requires labels for AI generated art

Oligopsony

Explorer
Earlier I said the most interesting cases of AI art aren’t going to be cheaper versions of what trad art already does, and I think the same applies to writing.

Currently we have print and screen pdfs for many products. There’s totally a niche for human-readable and machine-readable versions, with the former emphasizing economical and evocative writing and the latter precision and thoroughness, and meant to be queried with an LLM. SRDs and setting bibles could work well with this.

Mirtek

Hero
My answer to them would be if you use someone else’s work to form your opinion then you should reference that and give proper credit. If you can’t/won’t provide proper credit and your work is derivative expect to get shunned.
Then every artist would have to list the artist of everything she has ever seen in her entire live? Including stuff she was too young to consciously recall but left a tiny impression on her nontheless?

TheSword

Legend
Then every artist would have to list the artist of everything she has ever seen in her entire live? Including stuff she was too young to consciously recall but left a tiny impression on her nontheless?
There is a difference between learning and copying. Even a small part.

Reynard

Legend
There is a difference between learning and copying. Even a small part.
Midjourney (the only one I know anything about) does not copy anything. It does not create collages. It actually does learn. It just can't discriminate (which is why Getty Images logos and signatures end up in it's output).

KEV777

Explorer
It's generally incomprehensible and you can search online for fragments that are directly plagiarized from other sources.
This is just not true at all. It really depends on how you prompt the AI. If you work with with AI at the paragraph level it's actually very well written. It really does save a lot of time.

KEV777

Explorer
Can someone explain how this is incomprehensible or even detectable as AI? Keep in mind this is only the first prompt.

AI Prompt:
I'm writing a D&D module that contains a temple full of undead skeletons. Can you give me a description of the temple room from the players perspective. Make the description sound mysterious and haunting.

Response:
As you push open the heavy stone doors, a cold gust of wind brushes against your skin, sending a shiver down your spine. The eerie atmosphere within the temple immediately engulfs you, and you find yourself standing in a vast, dimly lit chamber. The flickering torches along the walls cast dancing shadows that seem to mock the very notion of light.

The room stretches out before you like an endless abyss, the ceiling obscured by a thick fog that looms ominously overhead. As you cautiously step forward, the sound of your footsteps echoes throughout the chamber, magnifying the unsettling silence that permeates the air. The air carries a musty scent, as if the passage of time itself has been trapped within these walls for centuries.

In the distance, you catch glimpses of elaborate stone carvings, depicting scenes of long-forgotten rituals and ancient deities, their meanings obscured by the ravages of time. Some figures appear almost lifelike, their stone eyes seeming to follow your every move, while others appear distorted and grotesque, a haunting mockery of humanity.

The walls of the temple room are adorned with faded tapestries, now tattered and frayed, that once boasted vibrant hues and heroic tales of valor. But now, they only serve as a reminder of the fading glory and the inevitable decay that awaits all things. Strange symbols and runes etched into the walls glow with a faint, ethereal light, almost as if they hold a secret power waiting to be unleashed.

As you proceed, your gaze is drawn to the center of the chamber, where a massive, ancient sarcophagus lies dormant. Its lid, adorned with intricate engravings, appears to have been undisturbed for centuries, but an unsettling sensation tugs at your senses, as if it houses something far more sinister than mere bones.

The silence is broken occasionally by the distant rattling of bones and eerie whispers that seem to emerge from the very walls themselves. You can't help but feel as though unseen eyes are upon you, watching your every move from the dark corners of the temple.

A chill runs down your spine, and you can't shake the feeling that you are not alone in this foreboding place. The air is heavy with an aura of malevolence and the restless souls that once inhabited this temple. The ethereal presence of the undead skeletons, hidden in the shadows, awaits your approach with an unsettling anticipation.

You are now faced with a choice: to delve deeper into this mysterious temple, or to retreat and escape the haunting clutches of its undead inhabitants. But tread carefully, for this ancient place holds secrets that may challenge your sanity and prove that the boundary between the living and the dead is not as clear as it seems.

Last edited:

KEV777

Explorer
An AI designed to detect AI-written works certifies it as written by humans.
Interesting...

I'll have to read about this. I wonder if it's capable of detecting third and forth order prompt modifications. Once you start asking the AI to change certain things in its responses it becomes your work. Of course, even if that is detectable once a human hand modifies say 10% of the AI responses it would probably succeed in thwarting it.

In the end though, a writer could simply modify the work until it passes the AI detection system.

As for copywritten works, once you change something enough (even a picture) it becomes a unique work of art - so I really don't understand the problem here.

Remove ads