D&D 5E DM's Guild: The Advice You Didn't Ask For

BoldItalic

First Post
Personally, I think that it is very important that people's solecisms are left uncorrected. That way, we purists can identify speedily those authors who are unworthy of our attention.

Take care over spelling and nothing can go wrnog!

Radaceus

Adventurer
Speaking as a chronic typodsylexic, I feel for some of the submitted product's.

But as a writer and professional, I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. If one wants to make money off of their created work, they must put forth the effort to supply a well wrapped product. If you are to sell me text, it better be in a digestible format that is cognizant and comprehensive of the topic. No rough drafts.

akr71

Hero
I agree - you aren't doing yourself any favors by being first. Put out something well written and well produced, please. I downloaded something from the Guild this morning that was free, but chalk full of clumsy grammar and typos. You get what you pay for - I can still use it and I was only interested because of the price, but I will certainly shy away from that publisher in the future.

ccs

41st lv DM
Its just this kind of ellitist grammer nazis that teh DM Guilds supposed to sercumvent. No one wants there work torn apart by some wanabe editer. The hole point of the Ogl is to let the fans decide whats good. Coming on here and making fun of people that put alot of work in to there games just makes you look like a jerk. people should be able to by what ever they want without be told what to do by grammer anzis.

Are your own typos here to make a point?

GHammy26

Explorer
I completely agree that people need to proof read their work before wapping it on the guild to make some 'easy' money... It just means no-one will buy their future work when(/if) they actually put the effort into it.

Also, I'm glad they released the 5e OGL as I've been writing up one of my quest lines for months now, (having it proof read by a writer and another DM throughout) and it's been so hard to convert some things from the 3.5e to make sense in the 5e format. I like how the DM's guild gives us a good secure place to sell our wares too, although I'm bummed out by (but fully understand) the large cut they take, BUT, the fact it costs us $2 to retrieve any funds we've actually accrued is a bit of a kick in the nads... It means my quest is going to have to cost $2.80+ (I think... my maths isn't great) to get anything out of it, which instantly makes people not want to buy it...

Meh... it's 30+pg's long and well written, so I'm hoping people will want to fork out for it =/

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
To anyone who's thinking of submitting to DM's guild:

I am a professional (freelance) editor. I'd be willing to do a proofreading job on anything someone wants to submit, for a fandom discount. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Remove ads