• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DMs, how are you managing the Lucky feat?

Quartz

Hero
Do you prompt the player if she wants to use a luck point? Do you expect the player to say immediately? How do you manage it?

Gilladian

Adventurer
I would try to prompt early in the game, as we learn the new rules, or for a new player, but as time went by, I would stop. It would be up to the player by, say, the fourth or fifth session ( we play for only 3 hours at a time).

Thank Dog

Banned
Banned
Lucky is problematic and one of the few rules in the game that I'm genuinely struggling to understand simply due to the wording. On the one hand it could be read that if you wish to spend a luck point, you can roll a second d20 and if you like the new roll, you can spend the luck point and use it, or not spend the luck point and use the original roll. On the other hand it could be read that if you want to roll a second d20 at all, that you have to spend the luck point and then decide which roll to use.

The first interpretation is open to abuse as it essentially means you could roll 2d20 for everything and only spend a luck point when your designated "primary" d20 is undesirable. The second interpretation, however, makes it only slightly better than Inspiration since you control when you have it and don't which is a bit weak for the price of a feat.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
It's the second interpretation.

I remind the player if I think of it. If not, it's up to them to remember they can reroll.

Lancelot

Adventurer
My players track things like HP and Spell Slots on scrap paper. They have a character sheet which they sometimes refer to... and a scrap sheet with frequently changing values like HP or Spell Slots or Death Saves. If they have Lucky, they also have the word Lucky written on that sheet, and will add some tally marks to it as it gets used. That's pretty hard to forget. It's one of 3 or 4 things staring at you from that blank sheet of paper, along with HP and Death Saves.

During the game, the player rolls the dice and observes the roll. If they are unhappy with the result, it's on them to say: "I use one of my three uses of Lucky". They then do the re-roll, and tell me the new result. They mark off one use of Lucky.

If they're influencing one of my (DM) dice rolls, they will let me know after they see the roll. I throw all dice in front of the players (always; regardless of Lucky or not; there are no hidden rolls at my table, unless I'm actively trying to make them paranoid). It's on the player to announce immediately whether I need to re-roll, before any other effects are applied (damage rolls, reactions, etc).

If the player forgets they have Lucky, there are no take-backs. Once damage is applied, or we've moved on to another character's turn, their window is closed. That's not intended to be harsh; it's intended to keep the game moving. If the player forgets, then maybe they weren't as Lucky as usual for that particular roll. I promise you that they'll remember better next time. :)

I've never had a problem with this at the table, for any type of re-roll or double-roll. Could be an Advantage roll, a burned Inspiration point. It doesn't matter. You have your window; you use it, or you don't. All of my players know the expectation and respect it. It makes for quick play and equitable adjudication. It also lowers the workload on the DM.

I'll make an exception for a complete newbie, of course. But that's not about the Lucky feat specifically. You should be taking care with nearly everything (opportunity attacks, saves, skill checks) regularly for a new player, and making sure they understand their options.

W_K

First Post
When I saw the title of this post my first thought was that someone has having a narrative problem with the feat, not a mechanical one. Anyway, to answer your question, I would probably leave it completely up to the player, but I wouldn't mind giving a little reminder if the situation was dire or if luck having an effect was fitting for the situation. Just as long as it was used timely and wasn't too disruptive to play.

Mercule

Adventurer
The player spends the luck point to buy the opportunity to roll the additional die. I am unable to conceive of any serious discussion otherwise.

The Lucky feat is already one of the more powerful, IME. Don't do anything to make it more so.

If the question is about whether you remind them, I might do so once or twice, but my general philosophy (stated explicitly to players) is that I have a large number of critters/traps/events/etc. to track, while players have only one. I'll make rulings or give additional info, if asked, but I don't feel at all guilty about them not knowing their abilities.

Note: I make exceptions for new players and some other cases.

Last edited:

Quartz

Hero
If they're influencing one of my (DM) dice rolls, they will let me know after they see the roll. I throw all dice in front of the players (always; regardless of Lucky or not; there are no hidden rolls at my table, unless I'm actively trying to make them paranoid). It's on the player to announce immediately whether I need to re-roll, before any other effects are applied (damage rolls, reactions, etc).

Yes, this is where it gets tricky. In 3E I often rolled in secret - or rather, I had a page of pre-rolled d20s, and simply checked them off. I suppose the easiest way is to say that the player must assert use and that Lucky doesn't apply to secret rolls., but it doesn't feel right.

Remove ads