DM's: How many PC's do you kill per campaign?

How many PC's do you kill per campaign?

• Poll closed .

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I was tempted to say 'all of them' since the last campaign ended with a TPK.

My last campaign had about 22 deaths spread between 5 players in a couple of years. Darned hard to avoid killing PC's in 3e :)

BlackMoria

First Post
It varies from campaign to campaign. Some campaigns, only a few. In some others, quite a alot.

Worst so far:

RttToEE - 39 for the campaign. Record one session total: 17 KIAs in a 12 hour session.

Mauve Castle - 28 KIAs

Labyrinth of Madness - seven 14th level to 18th level characters dead before even entering the Labyrinth. Final Tally - 27 KIAs

A Paladin in Hell - don't recall the exact count but it was in the high twenties.

Miles Pilitus

First Post
If we're talking the big sleep, my group barely averages 1 per campaign.

But just die, I think out epic game that ran for almost a year and a half brings our average up to around 1 per session.

3d6

Explorer
Well, in my new campaign, which has lasted 4 sessions, I've killed the elven warrior, the dwarven cleric (twice), and the human warrior, so I'm going to say "lots".

Because I tend to have such a high fatality rate, though, I "soften" returning from the dead. No level loss and no material component. I would prefer players keep playing the same character, so I try to encourage that.

Delta

First Post
I recently ran into a discussion of this from the early days of D&D. From Dragon Magazine #20, it's an article entitled "IT’S A GOOD DAY TO DIE (Death Statistics of D & D Players)" by Lyle Fitzgerald.

The purpose of this article is to determine the most common causes
of character death in D&D (something close to the hearts of all refs).
Our campaign is primarily a wildernes one (as the statistics reflect),
although huge dungeons do exist.

The 600 deaths listed include deaths of
playing characters and their advanceable hirelings, not mercenaries or
other non-playing characters. We started compiling these statistics 2 to 3
years ago. In the 4 years this campaign has been running, I’d estimate that
about a thousand player/ hireling deaths have occured. Classification of
these deaths was difficult, as often they could be listed under several
causes...

Now, THAT'S old-school! :)

Aramax

First Post
In the 25 real years Ive run the same campaign,this has changed drasticly,originaly I killed
2 pcs in 3 sessions,now in my mellow years Im down to about 2-3 per year,if that

Gundark

Explorer
3 words....Age of Worms.... This has been the highest body count campaign I have EVER done. Normally it's around 2-3 over the stretch of the campaign. Right now the PCs are at level 15 and we're at 8 deaths.

SpiderMonkey

Explorer
el-remmen said:
Let's see:

The Sign of Four Campaign (including resurrections): 10
The Oath Campaign: 25
"Out of the Frying Pan": 4

So what's that average to? ;)

Killer GM! Killer GM! :p

My last lower-level game had something like 4 deaths in as many or less sessions. Oops!

I generally try to stay away from killing PCs, but as a previous poster mentioned, my reluctance has definitely ebbed with age.

As a PC, since I rarely get to play and hence play recklessly, I go through characters like kleenex. I reckon I owe a lot of dead PCs breakfast at Denny's as an apology.

Remove ads