• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM's: How many PC's do you kill per campaign?

How many PC's do you kill per campaign?

• Poll closed .

MonsterMash

First Post
Rarely more than 1-2 as I use a fate point system which allows characters to avoid accidental deaths, so it's more when a player wants to go for it to start a new character and doesn't want the old one retired.

shilsen

Adventurer
DragonShadow said:
Roughly half of the torture my PC's experience is from situations they create themselves. ;)
Isn't that true of all PCs? You just show them a bit of rope and they develop this amazing urge to hang themselves :)

Pure Puppet

First Post
el-remmen said:
Let's see:

The Sign of Four Campaign (including resurrections): 10
The Oath Campaign: 25
"Out of the Frying Pan": 4

So what's that average to? ;)

It's probably a bad sign that the first thing I did on reading that was figure out the average, right?

It's thirteen, by the way.

DragonShadow

First Post
Agamon said:
Only half? You have great players (or I have horrible ones)....

They...have their moments. ;]

shilsen said:
Isn't that true of all PCs? You just show them a bit of rope and they develop this amazing urge to hang themselves :)

:cool: And best of all, I'm generally there to kick the stool out from under them. To help them along, of course.

rgard

Adventurer
Emirikol said:
How many PC's do you kill per campaign?

I always figured 4 or so per 15 level campaign was average, but I'm finding myself taking out bunches per campaign now that our group has aged. I just don't have any mercy anymore as a DM.

I discovered the saying, "A God all mercy is a God unjust." Stick the word DM in there instead ;)

jh

I voted 7-9, but there were actually 30+ character deaths. The campaign lasted 18 months.

RFisher

Explorer
In the last few years:

• The last 3e campaign I ran: 2 (maybe 3, but his fate was never known for certain)
  • Lord of the Rings: 0
  • Classic Traveller: 0
  • Classic D&D: 4

6 ÷ 4 = 1.5

Unless you count Toon, but nobody ever dies in Toon.

Edit: Oh, & the cT figure doesn't include characters that never made it out of chargen. I don't feel I can take credit for those. Especially when I offered the "injury" option.

Last edited:

Remove ads