• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM's: How many PC's do you kill per campaign?

How many PC's do you kill per campaign?

• Poll closed .

Kunimatyu

First Post
Generally, I kill very few PCs in my homebrewed games, unless it's a finale and/or they're stupid.

However, in the course of three Savage Tide sessions, I've killed -six- PCs, cackling all the while.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I have the happy situation of not killing many (or any at all), but still having the players fear that the characters are going to get smeared if they aren't bright. The players are correct - if they have a stupid or unlucky night, someone will get killed. But they have little actual evidence...

Which just goes to show that percieved threat of PC demise is not necessarily linked to the actual body count.

Agamon

Adventurer
The last few? I can't answer your poll, it doesn't go high enough.

Current game: AoW - 8 PC deaths (only just finishing the 4th of 12 adventures).
Last game: Homebrew - 9 PC deaths (TPK ended it early)
Previous game: RttToEE - 38 PC deaths (yeah, that's not a typo)
Previous game: Old Skool (KotB and Slavers series): 11 PC deaths (TPK killed that game too; I was tying them together with WotSQ)

Average: 16.5 (or 20.5 weighted for my current game). My players get to try new things a lot.

DragonShadow

First Post
The way I run my campaigns, I aim for what's most realistic. (Of course, this is realism where we have orcs and magic, but realism nonetheless.)

That being said, more often than not my PC's are faced with something they feel they can't handle. This is also their astounding ability to enter situations unprepared (traveling into the underdark with 100 feet of rope between 5 people, and not a single rank in Climb in sight seems silly, agree?), but I do accept full responsibilty for it.

In my defense, I balance the CR's as best I can with their average level. To their credit, they've often surprised me.

:\ Unfortunately, I seem to kill one of my players more than any of the others, but I think this is because she has horrible luck. She always gets herself into the wrong place, at exactly the wrong time.

My current campaign, a homebrew, the death toll is up to 7. More, if you count the party NPC's lost. (Though, it's not like THEY do, the bastards.)

shilsen

Adventurer
I don't kill any. I drop them below -10 approximately once per two sessions, but that doesn't kill them, since I have a house rule allowing action pts to turn a killing blow/effect into one that drops them to -9 hp (and stable).

If you kill a PC permanently, that means you can't torture it any more, and what's the fun in that?

Hussar

Legend
Permanent deaths in my World's Largest Dungeon Campaign - 13

Total deaths - 23

Whacked me a 14th level paladin and rogue two weeks ago. High level combat is LETHAL.

Remove ads