D&D 4E DnD 4E DOA?

DnD 4E DOA?

• Don't want DnD 4E. Happy with my current edition.

Votes: 160 33.1%
  • Might be ready for 4E ... in 2010.

Votes: 184 38.0%
  • Would like to see 4E .... in 3 to 5 years

Votes: 89 18.4%
  • I think 4E is in the works. 1 to 2 years away.

Votes: 24 5.0%
  • I'm done with 3.5E. I want 4E now!

Votes: 27 5.6%

Mixmaster

Explorer
I AM HAPPY with what I've got. When 4E comes out, I'll give it a shot, but not now. 4E will not bring in "new gamers", it will not bring back "the old schoolers".

If anything, it'll LOSE players who spent $, and possibly put the older gamers back in the shadows.

Psychic Warrior

First Post
Nisarg said:
Hmm.. I wonder why that would be? It couldn't possibly be because the release of 3.5 left everyone totally cynical about how quickly the next edition would be released vs. whatever Wizards says about their plans.

You're really holding that 1 year jump in release date against them, aren't you?

The Human Target

Adventurer
Regardless of when it comes I look forward to it. I enjoy 3.5 and will continue to play it, but my game as is is full of modifications and houserules. If a new game system comes into play that fixes the problems then I'm all for it. But by the time 4e is a glimmer in WoTC eye I'll have my own game system well done and will be playing it with my friends.

Kaffis

First Post
Swiftbrook said:
I've seen many threads popping up recently about DnD 4E this or 4E that. I'm starting to wonder if WotC is starting to run out of material for 3.5e and spreading the seeds of 4E. Frankly, I'm happy with 3.5 and will not be jumping on the 4E bandwagon any time soon .... if ever. When WotC when from 3e to 3.5e they fixed many many problems. But it seems like the intentionally created some problems just so that they could have a reason to make a 4e.

But the question ... to what extent are you waiting for 4e?

-Swiftbrook
I'd settle for getting my current DM to stop being a cheapskate and pick up 3.5 instead of cherrypicking things he's heard about 3.5 to house-rule. Sure, he's not running the stupidly broken haste. But he's still got 3.0 harm. Or ok, he let me run a 3.5 ranger -- but our poor bard's still only got 4+int skill points, too. The inconsistency just frustrates me. Not to mention having to lug my 3.5 *and* 3.0 PHBs to gaming sessions (because I still have to reference the 3.0 spell lists) -- I carry enough books as it is. :D

Why are we so cynical about 4e? Hasbro. WotC isn't run by itself anymore, it doesn't make what it wants to make all the time, the dreaded "faceless corporate suits" can come down and say "Make more money, put out a new version of D&D so everyone has to buy more books!" and WotC's hands are tied. 3.5 made people suspicious, 4e before it's time will make them infuriated.

It's traditionally been 10 years between major editions, so I think in 2010 or thereafter a 4e would be tolerated if the rules themselves are sound, but if it comes much earlier, or if the rules are a step down in quality (introducing lots of incompatibilites just to make us buy more books), it may well bomb hard.

Personally, I run 3.5, with some holdouts from 3.0, plenty of optional rules from Unearthed Arcana, some good stuff from Arcana Evolved added in, and some just plain house rules, and I like it a lot. I don't need WotC to come out and produce a 4e that I'll just have to re-learn a new system, or a whole bunch of new rules, just as I'm really getting the hang of all the intricacies of 3.x edition.

Also, thanks to the OGL, retro 3.x gaming needs will be much easier to meet than 1e/2e gamers. Companies like Mongoose will doubtless make 3.x Players Handbooks for old-school holdouts helping keep the game in circulation and cutting into 4e's success.

Crothian

First Post
JRRNeiklot said:
I hope 4e comes out today! Maybe it'll piss enough people off that I can find players for a C&C game.

Nope, every one is actually planning to move to Harp. We had a meeting and voted on it. C&C came in third. :lol:

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Lol, I've been meaning to try Harp, but the combat round (2 seconds?) scares me off. It's one of the reasons I didn't like Gurps.
"What do you do this round?"
"I draw my sword."
"Okay, next?"

Remove ads