D&D 5E dnd alternate covers

I have 'em all except Volo's, but I use them at the table. They're visually appealing, and since I only own one copy of each book (If I buy the alt cover, I don't buy the regular one), it's only practical to use 'em at the table.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I use my books. Tore the map out of an alt cover just the other day.
One of my group did that. Made one of the more fussy ones freak out (at least jokingly). Personally, I shrug. I may own a store that deals in collectables, but I personally like stuff to be used for its intended purpose. For example, I prefer comics to be read, not slabbed, in spite of the overblown collector's market. Don't get me wrong - I don't judge people who like that sort of thing; it's just not what I care about personally.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
ALL my 5e books, ALT-cover or not are book-shelf decoration and for reading and enjoying the art. When running games, I use DnD beyond and the PDFs of whatever 3rd-party material I'm using. I don't buy both the standard and alt covers. I just buy the one I like best. Book spines don't match nicely on the bookshelf, but I don't care.

Stormonu

Legend
I have trained myself to use electronic copies in play (much easier on the back). My alt-covers are for display and occasionally pulled for relaxed reading on the couch. I do want them to last as long as possible. I've managed to keep my old D&D books all the way to their B/X or 1E printings (which are, interestingly, alt-cover versions) - and some of the older ones have been through quite vigorous use their life.

Mercurius

Legend
As a side note, I just visited my FLGS and noticed that they had like eight copies of the alt cover of Fizban's on the shelf but none of any others. Are they printing more alt covers now?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
As a side note, I just visited my FLGS and noticed that they had like eight copies of the alt cover of Fizban's on the shelf but none of any others. Are they printing more alt covers now?
Nope. That is a weird fluke. We ran out of Fizban's Alts on Day One in spite of a big order (in fact, we didn't get our full order as it was allocated). Don't know how they have any left. Maybe a misplaced box?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Nope. That is a weird fluke. We ran out of Fizban's Alts on Day One in spite of a big order (in fact, we didn't get our full order as it was allocated). Don't know how they have any left. Maybe a misplaced box?
Maybe that store got yours.

I mostly get the normal covers, because I like the match, but the alt covers are perfectly usable and functional.

When i buy WotC books I switch between regular and alt covers based on which one has the art i prefer. Eberron and Ravenloft alt-cover art is amazing and I grabbed those, but the sort of stylised art that a lot of the alt-covers has doesn't really appeal to me personally. Exception is Strixhaven, where I preferred the regular cover art but got given the alt-cover art as a birthday present, and one certainly doesn't complain in those circumstances!

I do find that the soft-feel covers on the alt editions attract dust and are hard to clean though.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases