• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DnD Gift set for a Beginner - advise me!

Pokutsa

First Post
Hi, guys! Please help me to choose a perfect DnD 5e Gift set for my nephew's birthday. DnD Starter set...
What else should I include as a must have and most essential?
Links are really appreciated!
Thank you so much for your help!

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
The DnD starter set is excellent, and has everything that's necessary to play (except for people to play with) If you are looking to do more than that, the Dungeon Master's Screen reincarnated is a good option, if you think he will be the Dungeon Master. Make sure the starter set and screen are for 5th edition.

Another possible addition is more dice. The starter set comes with one set, but it's handy to have a set per player. Wiz dice and Chessex both have interesting colors. You want either individual seven dice sets (20 sided, 12 sided, two 10 sided, 8 sided, 6 sided, 4 sided; the two 10 sided dice are sometimes called percentile dice) or a collection of several sets, sometimes called a pound of dice. Wiz Dice offers some collections in a large bag. There's also the Cup of Wonder which has five sets of dice and a dice cup.

Pokutsa

First Post
The DnD starter set is excellent, and has everything that's necessary to play (except for people to play with) If you are looking to do more than that, the Dungeon Master's Screen reincarnated is a good option, if you think he will be the Dungeon Master. Make sure the starter set and screen are for 5th edition.

Another possible addition is more dice. The starter set comes with one set, but it's handy to have a set per player. Wiz dice and Chessex both have interesting colors. You want either individual seven dice sets (20 sided, 12 sided, two 10 sided, 8 sided, 6 sided, 4 sided; the two 10 sided dice are sometimes called percentile dice) or a collection of several sets, sometimes called a pound of dice. Wiz Dice offers some collections in a large bag. There's also the Cup of Wonder which has five sets of dice and a dice cup.

Great advice! Thank you!
Will it be a usefull set: starter set, Player's Handbook, 3 DnD pencils, 1 DnD mug and some dice set you've recommended? Maybe something from the list is useless?
Thank you once again!

guachi

Hero
My favorite dice are GameScience dice. But I'm an old. You can get them from gamescience.com.

Maybe some miniatures? There are some from WizKids that come prepainted and you can see what the figures are because the packaging is clear plastic. It's like a "hero" set with one version of the adventurers at low level and another at higher level - same characters just fancier stuff.

Also, can you schedule a session of D&D for him to play at? That's really the only "must" I can think of, an actual session to play.

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
Great advice! Thank you!
Will it be a usefull set: starter set, Player's Handbook, 3 DnD pencils, 1 DnD mug and some dice set you've recommended? Maybe something from the list is useless?
Thank you once again!

That all sounds fine; the pencils and mug aren't strictly necessary (although pencils of some sort are needed), but they do sound fun.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I bought the Starter set for my nephews at Christmas. I also got them two additional sets of dice (one in each of their favorite colours). Having your own set of dice is a treat, and the set comes with one for their friends. I also arranged to roll up characters with them and run them through a short adventure.

The adventure was basically a three-room dungeon -- easy to make up on the spot; nothing especially fancy, and their ability to buy in happily filled almost three hours. I did not use the adventure that comes with the game, leaving that for them to find on their own.

I expect (or maybe hope) they'll want a PHB for a birthday or next Christmas. :D

A notebook that's a step up from a Mead Spiral binder for your notes and doodles ( Size 8 x 5 -ish ), square grid paper instead of lined is the best (It takes a minute to get used to, but once you do you never want to go back). It's very useful and it just makes you feel kinda cool when you write in your fancy notebook. Extra points: A pen of the type that he likes. You personally draw his PC on the first page of the book.

Getting a commissioned portrait of his PC is always fantastic. It takes an extra bit of effort and time and costs around 20-40 bucks on the low end. But maybe keep it in mind for next year or xmas.

Dice bags and dice jails are always fun too.

If they're a DM get them Graph paper for drawing dungeon maps (1 inch square grid...I think that's the right size?). Extra point: A set of Rubber Stamp Textures (cobblestone/brick/sand ect.) and Landscape designs (top view of trees and bushes).

Paper minis.

A D&D t-shirt would be rad.

You Help him get the free version of D&D Beyond, so he can make a bunch of PCs for fun on his phone.

Turn him on to RPG shows on Youtube/Twitch for him to checkout. Rollplay, GeekandSundry, Roll20, DnD, ect. There are dozens of good shows and dozens of different types of RPGs. Warning: Rated Teen for Mild Adult Language.

lonelynoose

First Post
Here is one ebay link for 3 sets : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-3-R...452111?hash=item1c7440404f:g:65QAAOSw4GVYGg6O

Here is an ebay link for cheap dice (don't order from china unless you can wait a month): https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?__i...&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=pound+of+dice

I'd also include a larger variety of lvl 1 character sheets. The ones in the starter set are a bit bland. I'm sure if you asked the group plenty of people would send you some pdfs.

Gridsheets: Something like this but better: https://dinodung.wordpress.com/downloads/1-inch-grid-sheet/ . You'll be able to do on the fly combat encounters. Which also leads tooooo:

Miniatures! Try this reddit link for the print and fold/stand type: https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/5gpodp/oc_free_dd_paper_miniature_resource/

Another optional thing is the dm screen: https://www.amazon.com/Dungeon-Masters-Screen-Reincarnated-Wizards/dp/078696619X

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
It kind of depends on your goal. If you want to get dice for your nephew and all his friends a cheep option is pound o dice.

Another question is, do you think they will play on a grid or not? If they are, I'd recommend a flip-mat. You can use dry erase or wet erase markers, and it's easier to transport because it folds up.

But really the only thing you need is the starter set and maybe a Player's Handbook to get going.

Remove ads