• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DnD PC Games

Big_Daddy

First Post
Without a doubt, Neverwinter Nights kicks butt. Yes, it doesn't have all the feats or skills. It even has new ones that don't make sense in D&D terms. BUT! It's multiplayer advantages FAR outweigh the minor issues. Spellcasting appears to be pretty accurate and you can even download a mod for the game called the HardCore Ruleset. It follows 3E DND as accurately as physically (digitally?) possible.

This is the website for most users... http://nwn.stratics.com/ it's the EN World for Neverwinter Nights.

Also, here is the website for the HardCore Ruleset... http://nwn.darkemud.com/~darke/HC/manual.htm While a bit overwhelming at first, the ruleset is EXCEEDINGLY well supported by it's original designers.

I've also heard good things about Icewind Dale II, and while I haven't played it myself this website has bunches of info about it... http://www.gamebanshee.com/icewinddaleii/

Enjoy! :D

Big Daddy

Riveneye

First Post
Well, if you're willing to give some 2nd edition games a go (which I think you should), give Baldur's Gate 2 a shot. You might not like the first one, since it's so old now, and won't look very nice to first time players, but BG2 is amazing. It also has a few 3E elements thrown in to it.

Lazybones

Adventurer
I second the vote for Neverwinter Nights... I've been running several campaigns now that have lasted months (almost as long as the game's been out), and when you can get a regular group of players together the game's just as good as PnP (better, IMO, since the combats are completely arbitrated by the game, leaving you to focus on RP, tactics, and character development). The Aurora toolset is a lot of fun to use for building one's own modules, and the learning curve for its scripting system isn't as steep as virtually any other game builder out there.

I am a member of NeverwinterConnections.com, a website matching service and community that started as a game scheduler but now has forums, player and DM ratings, resources, and other elements to improve one's NWN experience.

Brudewollen

First Post
Stay well away from Pool of Radiance. It's really boring hack and slash, it did little more then made my hand tired and numb, and the story (what there is of it) was really crappy. Graphics were quite nice, but ultimately it wasn't worth the money spent (not even close).

If you want something in a similar vein (though it's not D&D, much less 3rd Ed.) try Dungeon Siege. It's not much of a thinking man's game, but it's beautiful and amazingly addictive - sort of like having a juiced up engine for Diablo, but even less in the way of plot or puzzles then that game (if that's possible). Still, it's so beautiful and so fun, I don't even mind.

I hear good things about Ice Wind Dale II, but haven't played it. It uses the BG II engine, but with 3rd Ed. rules. BG II has elements of 3rd Edition (a Sorcerer class, for instance), but is really just a modified 2nd Ed. game (albeit, the best CRPG I've ever played!). IWDII is more hack and slash then BGII, but good hack and slash, so I hear.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
I second Brudewollen in his descriptions. I especialy reiterate the need to stay away from Pool of Radiance. The only good thing I got out of that game was a free players handbook as a promotional gimik.

Remove ads