DnD Shorts final video

Clint_L

Hero
Sure, but we have better reasons for trusting DnD Shorts, who has admitted when he's gotten it wrong and has gotten things right as well.
No, we definitely don't have any reason to trust DnDShorts when it comes to these particular sources. These sources have already misrepresented (at best) crucial parts of the story. And it is important that those were the parts of the story that could be verified. So what we have left are rumours from sources who seem to pretty clearly have some strong bias and have been shown to be willing to make claims that turned out to be contrary to the truth.

You cannot treat DnDShorts like he is a reporter. He is not a reporter, and he is not working for reputable news media. When he gets a story completely wrong, the only consequences are to his reputation, which is mostly as an entertainer.

There is a ton happening behind the scenes at Hasbro right now and I very much look forward to learning about it when that story finally does come out. That kind of reporting is hard. It takes time and commitment to doing the tedious parts of journalism. That's not what DnDShorts does.

S'mon

Legend
Hasbro/WOTC doesn't need to touch the OGL to win that battle. It just has to launch its own VTT and use its power as market leader to drive players to it.

When Microsoft Teams launched in late 2016, Slack had 5 million users. By late 2020 Teams had 75 million and Slack had 12 million.

The Hasbro board has two former Microsoft vice presidents on it, so they know how to win that game.

They seem to lack confidence in their ability to win in a fair contest.

S'mon

Legend
Spot on. A responsible journalist would have stated something like 'To discuss these issues between themselves, WOTC employees had to take extra steps to make sure their communications could not be monitored by management' not 'The employees were using X feature of tool Y'. It's silly, needlessly reckless stuff that doesn't add anything to the story for the audience but can have very real consequences for the sources.

MS Teams should only be used for official work business. I was surprised they didn't use something secure like WhatsApp. I was also surprised he mentioned this, as it does seem like something management could track. :(

Scribe

Legend
I'm not?

Two things can be true at once. WotC can be an unreliable source, and so can DnDShorts.

Just because we want to believe one side or the other, doesn't mean that we shouldn't hold both up to the same scrutiny.
I wasn't responding to you.

SAVeira

Adventurer
It occurs to me that one way to quietly fight this over the long term is to abandon online play completely.

There's no* microtransactions around an in-person table.

* - "who's bringing the snacks?" notwithstanding...
Not going to happen. There are reason why people have doing online TTRPG for a while now. Fantasy Grounds and Roll20 were around look before the pandemic and 5E.

I started playing remote years ago when I was going through chemo and it was not a good idea to game in person. Not looked back.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
It occurs to me that one way to quietly fight this over the long term is to abandon online play completely.

There's no* microtransactions around an in-person table.

* - "who's bringing the snacks?" notwithstanding...
Alternately, don’t use the fancy features of VTTs.

Or use discord, video or voice chat, and theater of the mind. This is a perfectly viable means to play.

It’s the bells and whistles that they’re trying to monetize. Bells and whistles are extraneous to play, not necessary to play.

Remove ads