• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do Adjustments To Core RAW Often Meet With Resistance In Your RPGing Group?

Do Adjustments To Core RAW Often Meet With Resistance In Your RPGing Group?

• Yes

Votes: 45 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 131 74.4%

X-Marks!

First Post
Um, I know I should know this one, but... .

Can someone define what RAW is for those of us who haven't run into the terminology before?

Staffan

Legend
They weren't entirely happy when I removed the AoO for standing up from prone, but other than that my house rules seem to have gone over well.

Glyfair

Explorer
No, but my group has been a special case. First, I'm probably the most resistant to changes to the RAW in my group. If I'm recommending a change, then most go along.

On the other hand, only a couple of my players even have a firm grounding on the rules. They know enough to play, but could care less about the special cases. If they want to Bull Rush, they trust me to know the rules so they can do it. If I were to change the rules on they fly, it wouldn't affect their expectations, because they had no rules expectations.

In most of my campaigns, most of the players applauded all house rules that they perceived in their favor and whined about those that they felt hurt them. I think that is just Human nature. 'tis far easier to give than it is to take away.

Crothian

First Post
I think I could house rule d20 and have it come out Hero and they wouldn't care much as long as I run a good and fun game.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Preface: I never change anything but the most minor of rules during an ongoing campaign unless it is something the game and-or the PC's have yet to ever encounter. (example: ExP amounts required to advance into levels far higher than the PC's are at) If something's broken but has already directly affected the game, internal consistency says it stays broken.

That said, many of our major rule changes over time - particularly in the early days - were player-driven. Nowadays, the major rule changes waiting in the wings for a new campaign are mostly DM tweaks (my own and others) to our at-one-time-1e-based system.

Lanefan

GreatLemur

Explorer
We're all experienced gamers, as well as intelligent, reasonable people. I don't think anyone in our group believes game designers know what's good for our fun better than we do. Any game's RAW is a collection of expert suggestions, not holy writ.

Set

First Post
No problems here.

All of the folks in my game-group enjoy game tinkering ... and most core rules need some serious tweeking, in our not very humble opinion ;)

Same with out group. Late 30's, early 40's, we've all played a dozen or more RPGs, some online games, etc. and we all like to tinker.

Everything is a toolbox to us.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads