Level Up (A5E) Do all of the Planetouched in A5e have horns?

One of the things that I find odd about the Aasimar in A5e are their halo-like or crown-like horns. And since both they and the Tieflings have them, I can't help but wonder if this is a physical trait that is common for all planetouched in A5e. I certainly hope not. :p

IMO, the only Aasimar that ought to have horns of any kind are those who are the descendants of Cervidals. ;)

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Reminds me of an old Tumblr discussion about Angels and Demons and Horns.

See, Angels and Demons are the same creature, a demon just broke their halo into horns. Sort of started out as a jokey prompt, but then someone drew this:

tumblr_inline_p686esdMtz1qdd180_500.jpg

With the idea that a Demon's horns touching causes a bright light of a traditional halo. This blinds the entity, who must then rely on a deity's guidance in order to function. To break their halo requires a -lot- of force, so they hurl themselves from heaven to earth, head-first, to break the halo into horns.

Bonus points, deities can no longer use the halo as a handle.

tumblr_inline_p6873hasUv1qdd180_540.jpg

This lead to further imagery and ideas, like Nephilim or Planetouched (as we would call them) having scarring or birthmarks around their head where the halo's light or demon's horns affected their flesh.

tumblr_p6eutbXNsP1qep3h6o1_1280.jpg

And so

tumblr_p6941q4DF01qep3h6o1_1280.jpg

much

tumblr_p6941q4DF01qep3h6o2_r1_1280.jpg

More.

tumblr_p6941q4DF01qep3h6o3_r1_1280.jpg

There's lots of ways to do it in the end, where aasimar have horns or antlers or crowns or nothing. Do what feels right for you!

I think since none of the heritages have hard and fast "appearance requirements" means the player is pretty open on how they can make their character's appearance look regardless of heritage choice.

I think since none of the heritages have hard and fast "appearance requirements" means the player is pretty open on how they can make their character's appearance look regardless of heritage choice.
Very true. If I was to design my own Aasimar in A5e, I would have them as a separate heritage and have their gifts represent the different kinds of Celestials in O5e and A5e. So one gift would be for those Aasimar who are the descendants of Angels, another for the Archons, and a third for the Guardinals.

The Tieflings could have something similar going for them as well. Devils, Demons, Demodands, etc.

Pedestrian

Explorer
In God: An Anatomy, Dr Stavrakopoulou writes about how horns feature in depictions of ancient west Asian/middle eastern art often included horns, including that Moses went horned after his encounters with god. This is because horns were a symbol of power, both linked to the virility of the bull and, for example in Egypt, the sun through the silhouette forming a disk.

You could have the horns on your celestial plane touched drawn from that - sweeping bull horns that crackle with lightning or shine like the sun.

Does anyone know if genies in RL folklore had horns? curious If they did, then it's likely that the Genasi will be presented in A5e as having them too.

As for the Nephilim, I have imagined them being the common ancestor for both the Aasimar, Tieflings and Humans thanks to the game Diablo.

Remove ads