• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do Awards affect your Shopping habits?

Do Awards affect your Purchasing Decisions

• Poll closed .

Wicht

Hero
sole "less likely" vote so far.

I know my tastes are definitely not mainstream when it comes to modern RPG books (or alot of other things). As evidenced by the huge "pathfinder sweep" at the ENnies, PF products are totally opposite to my tastes-rules, art, writing style, etc (not a slight-just an example).

So, is your support of the latest edition of the world's most popular role-playing game an exception to the rule or an example of you fighting the status-quo? And did 4e success last year in the ENnies make you question your role as a loyal Rouseketeer? :D

edit: on reflection, this is probably worded in a way that doesn't convey the true tone or could be taken as hostile. Picture me asking lightheartedly with a good natured grin. I fully realize someone can have tastes which includes things both popular and not. Its not always all one way or the other. :D

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
Ah, the annual poll. :)

I check out nominees. Winners are just the nominees with the most fanboi followers, but most of the nominees are worth looking at, if not buying.

IronWolf

blank
I think the awards do provide a list of games to at least look at. Now quite possibly after reviewing I might see something doesn't fit my taste, but with the amount of products out there, seeing what fellow gamers like or are fans of deserves some merit. We might not always agree in tastes however.

JeffB

Legend
So, is your support of the latest edition of the world's most popular role-playing game an exception to the rule or an example of you fighting the status-quo? And did 4e success last year in the ENnies make you question your role as a loyal Rouseketeer? :D

I'm not "fighting status quo" I'ts not a conscious effort to be different-

With the way the ENnies work ( the ENworld populous votes for the judges and then the judges pick the cream of the crop from whomeever submitted something, and then the Enworld populous votes for the products selected), I'd be much less inclined to bother looking at a product I'd not heard of before the ENnies (and that won an award). Not to say I would NEVER be inclined, but definitely less so. I find I'm more often than not at odds with people's tastes around here- whether it's the hardcore grogs, the hardcore 3E/PF loyalists, or the hardcore 4E fans. IOW- I believe there is alot of "agenda" or grassroots votes for product.

Last edited:

Wicht

Hero
I'm not "fighting status quo" I'ts not a conscious effort to be different-

With the way the ENnies work ( the ENworld populous votes for the judges and then the judges pick the cream of the crop from whomeever submitted something, and then the Enworld populous votes for the products selected), I'd be much less inclined to bother looking at a product I'd not heard of before the ENnies (and that won an award). Not to say I would NEVER be inclined, but definitely less so. I find I'm more often than not at odds with people's tastes around here- whether it's the hardcore grogs, the hardcore 3E/PF loyalists, or the hardcore 4E fans. IOW- I believe there is alot of "agenda" or grassroots votes for product.

I edited my post above to mention I was not actually trying to be hostile.

I do wonder though if you realize the ENnies have moved well past reflecting the thoughts and tastes of this particular message board. That is, though it began here, anyone, even those not a part of ENWorld can vote.

IronWolf

blank

The ENnies are much larger than just the EN World boards these days though. How many of the judges actually are regulars on EN World these days? I think there were non-EN World boards that had more ENnies discussion than here. And the votes are certainly coming from a larger populace than just EN World.

EDIT: ninja'ed by Wicht! ;)

Karmacoma

First Post
It's a routine

First, I have a look at the results of the awards.

If I haven't heard about one with either a title I like or who wins over a product that I have and consider top-knotch, I have a look.

If I consider the product worth-having, I buy it.

So, yes, there's a greater chance that I'll have a look at the finalists and winners. But it's not guaranteed that I'll buy them.

JeffB

Legend
I edited my post above to mention I was not actually trying to be hostile.

I do wonder though if you realize the ENnies have moved well past reflecting the thoughts and tastes of this particular message board. That is, though it began here, anyone, even those not a part of ENWorld can vote.

No worries- just explaining further what I meant! :)

As for the "wider (than ENWorld) audience- I think that exaggerates the "agenda" voting.

The ENnies are much larger than just the EN World boards these days though. How many of the judges actually are regulars on EN World these days? I think there were non-EN World boards that had more ENnies discussion than here. And the votes are certainly coming from a larger populace than just EN World.

EDIT: ninja'ed by Wicht! ;)

see answer above :)

So basically to answer the OPs question: I'm less inclined to seek out something I've never heard of before because it won an "internet poll award". (In no way is this a slight on the amount of hard work & dedication that goes into the ENnies by those involved)

Remove ads