2024 Diana Jones Award Finalists Announced

Finalists include one game designer, two conventions, a charity bundle, and a labor union

Diana-Jones-Award.png

The finalists for the 2024 Diana Jones Award have been announced. From the announcement page:

From a long and eclectic collection of nominees, the committee of the Diana Jones Award for Excellence in Gaming selected five finalists that it believes best exemplified “excellence” in the field of gaming for its 2024 award. They are:

ADEPTICON​

A miniatures games convention in the Midwest
Since 2003, Adepticon has grown from a 110-person event to over 8,000 attendees, making it the largest and most energized wargaming convention in the world. It offers tournaments and events for dozens of game systems and concentrates on attendee interaction, from basic painting lessons to full sculpting classes and everything in between. It shares tables and terrain with several other events throughout the year, adding to its efforts to support multiple charitable causes, some created in honor of past attendees. Games Workshop moved their premier painting competition (Golden Demon) there, attracting more people from around the world, and the convention’s upcoming move to the Baird Center (previous home to GenCon) in 2025 should cement its status.
Visit the Adepticon.org website.

AMI BAIO​

A game designer and owner of Pink Tiger Games
Since 2018, when Ami designed her first game, You Think You Know Me, she has been on a mission to share compassion and empathy through tabletop games. Her game mechanics are simple and straightforward, allowing players to focus on each other’s stories. Games like Flatter Me, You Think You Know Me, and Cloud Nine all encourage players to not only bring kindness to the table but to share parts of their lives and personalities in a manner rarely seen in tabletop gaming. Players, even when they are strangers, are often brought to tears of joy or nostalgia through her carefully crafted card games. In our current world, Ami’s games are more important and necessary than ever.
See Ami’s work at Pink Tiger Games.

FASTAVAL​

An RPG and board game convention in Denmark
Fastaval is a roleplaying and board gaming festival that takes place yearly in Jutland, Denmark, and has developed an ever-evolving history of design innovation, playful spirit, and community-commitment. It features premiere, cutting-edge roleplaying and board games and provides a deep, novel, and supported experience to its game designers. A distinctive genre of one-shot-scenario roleplaying games — Danish Freeform — was birthed here, and these games have had a growing influence on European and North American design and play. It is 100% volunteer driven, and everyone who attends volunteers to make it happen. An event like no other, It has a delightfully eccentric culture and a pervasively joyful culture of play.
Learn more at Fastaval.dk

TTRPGS FOR TRANS RIGHTS IN FLORIDA​

A charity bundle organized by Rue Dickey
Under the leadership of creator Rue Dickey, 254 tabletop roleplaying game creators banded together on itchi.io to offer over 500 different items — worth more than an aggregated $2,000 — for a suggested donation of only $5. Altogether, the bundle raised over $280,000 for the bundle’s charity partners: the Zebra Group (which provides services to LGBTQ+ youth, ages 13–24) and the Transinclusive Group (which advocates for equality for LGBTQ+ people in South Florida). This was another monumental show of force from our industry spaces — following on from 2022’s TTRPGs for Trans Rights in Texas — directed by strong leadership and displaying passion and love for the trans community.
See the campaign on Itch.io

UNITED PAIZO WORKERS​

A workers’ union
As a union of workers at Paizo, Inc. (publisher of the Pathfinder and Starfinder roleplaying games), United Paizo Workers is the first of its kind in the tabletop roleplaying game industry. Organized as part of the Communication Workers of America’s CODE-CWA project to support workers in the tech and game industries who are organizing for change, United Paizo Workers was voluntarily recognized by Paizo management and ratified their first union contract with Paizo in 2023. In addition to achieving raises, expanded benefits, and enhanced protections for workers at Paizo, the union provides a voice for Paizo’s workers to communicate their needs to upper management and speak out about issues that matter to the union’s members.
Read the union’s statement at UnitedPaizoWorkers.org

The Diana Jones Award was founded in 2000 and presented at the first ceremony in 2001, awarded to a single recipient each year at an industry-only event the evening before the start of Gen Con that exemplifies excellence in gaming among "people, products, companies, events, movements, concepts, or things" of that year. The winner for this year will be announced in Indianapolis on Wednesday, July 31.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Retreater

Legend
I don't understand this award. Like we're comparing what's the best thing between a gaming convention, a game designer, a union, and a charity bundle?

It's like if the Academy Awards was trying to decide its top prize between THX Surround Sound, the filmography of Alfred Hitchcock, recliners, and theatre popcorn.

I don't understand this award

It's like you asked a bunch of people

"what is the best thing to happen to rpg games last year?"

With no other prompts then compiled and voted on the top results.

If you ask 100 people what's the best thing about the United States. Someone's going to say Constitutionaly Guaranteed Freedom of Speach and someone's going to say Glacier National Patk. How do you vote on that?

Thus why I am casting my vote for a meme.

But it's also an award made from shredded copies of a failed RPG so its alowed to be nonsensical and strange. Im also just not sure if recieving it is prestigious as much as fun.

Von Ether

Legend
I don't understand this award. Like we're comparing what's the best thing between a gaming convention, a game designer, a union, and a charity bundle?

It's like if the Academy Awards was trying to decide its top prize between THX Surround Sound, the filmography of Alfred Hitchcock, recliners, and theatre popcorn.
More like the Hugos with categories for genre related projects, fan podcasts, etc. Those categories, however, stay around.

While the ENNIES focus has always been on the actual games, I think the DJs now try to focus on other things - be it a game, business model, gaming movement (actual play) that has impacted or added something to betterment of the hobby overall. So sometimes, it's a game designer or game design, or game convention, among other things.

But yeah, it does lead to scattershot approach to your nominees.

Cthulhugh

Explorer
More like the Hugos with categories for genre related projects, fan podcasts, etc. Those categories, however, stay around.

While the ENNIES focus has always been on the actual games, I think the DJs now try to focus on other things - be it a game, business model, gaming movement (actual play) that has impacted or added something to betterment of the hobby overall. So sometimes, it's a game designer or game design, or game convention, among other things.

But yeah, it does lead to scattershot approach to your nominees.
If you look at the previous winners of the DG they seem to make some kind of sense. Having some of this years finalists win seems bizarre to me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads