D&D 5E Do Beholders need sleep?

Agglomérante

First Post
Gut reaction: Yes, because most living things do.

Also, the Monster Manual specifically states on page 26 that beholders sleep. They close the central eye but leave the little eyes open.

Well I'll be damned. I didn't bother to look it up since it's not the sort of thing one sees described in a monster entry!

Question answered!

PnPgamer

Explorer
I remember that anything that isn't a construct, undead or ooze and is living on material plane, does sleep. I once did investigate 3.5 MM for this.

Nebulous

Legend
Sleep, I'd say yes, but it really depends on the DM. If for some reason you need a perpetually awake beholder/aberration, that makes sense too. But there's something appealing about the image of a beholder with all of its eyes closed, SNORING, and gently drifting as it snoozes and PCs try to sneak past it....

GameOgre

Adventurer
A beholder sleep floating down the hallway towards you! Don't wake him up! Studies have shown that it's harmful to YOUR health!

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Sleep, I'd say yes, but it really depends on the DM. If for some reason you need a perpetually awake beholder/aberration, that makes sense too. But there's something appealing about the image of a beholder with all of its eyes closed, SNORING, and gently drifting as it snoozes and PCs try to sneak past it....

So like that train wreck that was the first D&D movie?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Gut reaction: Yes, because most living things do.

Also, the Monster Manual specifically states on page 26 that beholders sleep. They close the central eye but leave the little eyes open.

Thanks for saving me the look up & post. Knew I'd read that.

Remove ads