• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do created beings have nipples and navels?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Well, do they? Some D&D artists of the past have depicted creatures that weren't born, but made, with truly superfluous body parts. Is this an artistic gaffe? The sign of a deity with OCD? Something else?

lukelightning

First Post
We need specifics. What created being are you talking about?

An easy explanation is "made in so-and-so's image" or some sort of archetypal force in the universe that has inherent forms. So creating a human-like figure, even if it is a construct, somehow taps into the archetype of human-ness.

I asked a crazy old artificer why his clockwork men had nipples and bellybuttons, and he had this to say:
"Just where would you put the on/off switch, volume control, and recharge intake?"

Huw

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Well, do they? Some D&D artists of the past have depicted creatures that weren't born, but made, with truly superfluous body parts. Is this an artistic gaffe? The sign of a deity with OCD? Something else?

Their creators probably put them on for aesthetic reasons. I know I would :eek:

Scraht

First Post
I have to agree with Huw. I personally find said parts to my liking, and I would add them if I created something (Like a golem in the likeness of a person).

Dragonbait

Explorer
lukelightning said:
Besides, nipples aren't superfluous.

They are used in the feeding of the young, so you are correct. What other purpose do they serve besides for that and fun? Temperature gauges?
I know my post had no real point. I just wanted to put in that lame joke

Dragonbait

Explorer
Huw said:
Their creators probably put them on for aesthetic reasons. I know I would :eek:

Most people probably would. It also helps identify with the created creature. For instance, Warforged do not necessarily need mouths if all they need were little slits to make noises out of. Yet they have them. With fewer features, people would see them as less and less of a being and more of a moving object. If both were animated magically and had the same personality, which would be easier to deal with, and to identify with - a warforged, or a one of those wooden dolls with to holes for eyes and a slit for the mouth?

Of course, the 'forged were supposedly made to be weapons, so giving them a number of unecessary human-like features does not make a lot of sense from the builder's perspective, but it helps players identify with them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads