Do devils need to rest?

solmar

Explorer
For the life of me can someone tell me where to find info on whether or not devils need to rest (I know they don't need to sleep). Can they travel indefinitely without fatigue?. I have a player whose sorcerer wishes to send off his imp familiar hundreds of miles ahead of retreating giants, but I told him that his little imp does require rest. He claims that his familiar could travel 24 hours straight because he doesn't need sleep. I think that with a Con score devils still suffer from fatigue.
Also, while on the topic. Under the empathic link section of the SRD it states that a sorcerer can teleport to an area seen by his familiar just as if they'd seen it first hand. My understanding of this would assumenthat this ability is still restricted to the 1 mile range of empathic link. My player further thinks that he could teleport to any area the familiar has seen before even in his past.

javcs

First Post
Not necessarily - normal distance movement rules apply; the Imp could go for a forced march, but the Imp, since it would be beyond empathic link range, probably would not be inclined towards a forced march, unless given orders to do so or a deadline that would require a forced march, and thus does not do so.

Yes, he can teleport to anywhere the imp has been to and decideds that it wants to send an image of the location to hi via empathic link (thus, if the imp is beyond empathic link range, the player is SOL until they're close enough to one another again).
Remember - the Imp is possessed of a respectable natural intelligence - it's an NPC, it doesn't always do exactly as the Player wants it to.

Jack Simth

First Post
In the specific case of the Imp?

The Fast Healing 2 means the Imp can Force March indefinitely. See, even if the Imp fails every Con check, and always rolls max damage, the Imp is only taking 6 nonlethal per hour. Fast Healing 2 restores 1200 hp per hour, and Force March HP loss doesn't have the "no healing" clause that Thirst or Hunger do. While technically the Imp might become fatigued, with Fast Healing 2 that only needs to get rid of 1d6 to be non-fatigued again, the Imp's not really going to notice the damage (other than a granularity fault that technically causes the imp to be fatigued for one to three rounds every hour that the Imp happens to fail a Con check).

Really, don't worry about the Imp running a Forced March.

Mind you, the Imp can't run forever, and there's a limit to how long the Imp can Hustle... but it's got a 50 foot fly speed, and it can technically go until something decides to kill it, so it'll outrun most stuff at a normal pace.

Edit:
In the generic case, though, while Devils don't need sleep, they don't have an explicit exception to the forced march rules, and can only go for 8 hours before risking the consequences.

Last edited:

solmar

Explorer
Because the teleport reference falls under the empathic link section of familiar abilities and not its own "teleport sense" section, I'm inclined to believe the developer's intentions were to allow "short teleports" in dungeon scenarios.

Remove ads