D&D General Do people like re-skinning?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
The bolded are mutually exclusive. If you skin a greatsword as a dagger, then it's the dagger and not the character doing the increased damage. If Tom, Dick or Harry pick it up, they have something looking like a dagger doing greatsword damage. Making the increased damage a function of character is what Rogues do with sneak attack.
To rephrase, when I'm saying "using a greatsword", I mean having a damage die expression of 2d6, with the related heavy and two-handed keywords. I don't care if narratively it's a dagger, as long as you can't transfer that mechanical expression to another character. That's what I mean by saying it's better to make the reskin a function of the character, not the equipment.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
To rephrase, when I'm saying "using a greatsword", I mean having a damage die expression of 2d6, with the related heavy and two-handed keywords. I don't care if narratively it's a dagger, as long as you can't transfer that mechanical expression to another character. That's what I mean by saying it's better to make the reskin a function of the character, not the equipment.
I understood you. My point is that if the character narratively is holding a dagger and gets the heavy and two-handed keywords his character, where do those properties come from? Abilities come from feats, class, race, etc. Are you granting that PC the ability to hold every dagger in a two-handed manner and somehow gain the heavy property? Is it only that dagger?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I understood you. My point is that if the character narratively is holding a dagger and gets the heavy and two-handed keywords his character, where do those properties come from? Abilities come from feats, class, race, etc. Are you granting that PC the ability to hold every dagger in a two-handed manner and somehow gain the heavy property? Is it only that dagger?
Granting it to the PC. I grant special exceptions to my PCs all the time. They'd be roughly equivalent to boons, I guess.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Plus, no matter what size and how strong you are, a greatsword is not meant to be used with one handed anyways. A dagger is good for slicing and stabbing based on how sharp it is but a greatsword is meant to chop. You want a dagger to have a more even weight distribution. You want a greatsword to be top-heavy, to an extent. Try holding a broom one-handed by the handle and swing it like a weapon. You can obviously pick up the weight of the broom but you're either creating a moment by being offset to the center of mass and need to re-adjust or you have a hard time resisting the moment of inertia because your hand is on the center of mass.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Granting it to the PC. I grant special exceptions to my PCs all the time. They'd be roughly equivalent to boons, I guess.
Then for me it would really depend on what the ability was and how it worked. It would have to be magical to add that much weight to the dagger, and I'm not sure how you would even hold a dagger hilt two handed. :)

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Then for me it would really depend on what the ability was and how it worked. It would have to be magical to add that much weight to the dagger, and I'm not sure how you would even hold a dagger hilt two handed. :)
small hand.jpg

There's always a reasonable answer.

Remove ads