• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Do people like re-skinning?

That last post of mine was my way of saying, "Hey, we do things differently. But so long as you're having fun that's okay." Think about that next time you decide to double down on the negativity there.
And mine was saying, "Just because it isn't important to you, that doesn't mean it isn't important in general."

Last edited:

I both like it and don't like it. I like it when as you mention, the fluff and mechanics complement each other. if they don't, it creates a disconnect. However, it's pretty easy in many cases to create new and different complementary fluff for a set of mechanics. If a player had an idea for a PC of a race that doesn't exist, but is mechanically like an elf, but came up with new fluff explaining the elven abilities, I'd allow it. If the player wanted a two-handed dagger doing 2d6 points of damage as a heavy weapon(a refluffed greatsword), I'd say no. Daggers don't hit that hard, so the fluff doesn't match the mechanic.
Unless wielded by a rogue of course, in which case they frequently do more damage, so YMMV on the whole verisimilitude thing. 😀

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You've already admitted that you don't actually care about what the mechanics actually mean, or the integrity of the process.

"Integrity of the process"? Are we talking about the same game? The game that is built on the tradition of Making Stuff Up? Because.. folks have been hacking together, home-brewing, and just making things up out of whole cloth in this hobby from day one. It would not be unreasonable to say that the initial RPG was really just a reskinned wargame!

The process of D&D traditionally has as much integrity as Frankenstein's Monster - only so strong as the stitches holding the thing together.

So, if there's some stuff that matters to you, it matters to you. But, just as you note that, "I don't care, so it doesn't generally mattter" is false, so it is with, "I do care, so it does generally matter."

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I reskinned an elf bladedancer PC into a gish elf with a nautical theme and replaced their rapier with a harpoon (a reskinned rapier that used two hands).
If you can’t tell if you yourself are serious, then this thread has become very silly indeed.
Well, I was actually unsure about your post, not mine. What you actually did seems pretty reasonable, but it could have been a joke. That said, I am detecting high levels of silliness, with some additional hints of oaken nuttiness.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Goblins and automation are so far apart from them wise why even call them automation if they aren't going to act like automation? It's going to feel unfair like the players have lost their ability to direct how things play out. Like a player will see of we are fighting a clockwork automation and they will be like let's use the anti clockwork spell, but it won't work because they are actually fighting a goblin.

I don't know MGibster's original intent here, but I think this was mostly just an example. I thought it went without saying, that if obvious tweaks were needed in the reskin, then they are done. It was a for instance, not meant to be scrutinized on such a granular level. Maybe I am wrong there, and he did want automatons just the same as goblins.

But holy crow, I figured this would be a lighthearted romp into what other DMs did for reskins, not turn into yet another my fun is better than your fun.

Good gravy.

Remove ads