Do people really want/use fan adventures?

Rechan

Adventurer
Just idle curiosity. There's been a few complaints about no 4e adventures, and so many seemed to like Raiders of Oakhurst. And yet, I haven't heard anyone looking to play the Heathen adventure that was posted in Dungeon.

So I'm curious: would folks use fan created adventures, posted in the Homebrew section?

And if so, what do you want/need/like?

Last edited:

Eosin the Red

First Post
I always like homebrew adventures - even if I only mine them for my own adventure ideas or to spur my creativity.

Caveat --- they must be reasonably legible with a well thought out story. No quick slap job of 5 minutes work.

senodam

First Post
I'm looking forward to seeing some fan created adventures. I might not use them in their entirety, but a map here, an encounter there and a little inspiration (or even the odd plagiarisation) for my home game can always be welcomed.

Plus, a good adventure can help to get a handle on how the game plays. Always a good thing.

Rechan

Adventurer
senodam said:
Plus, a good adventure can help to get a handle on how the game plays. Always a good thing.
Alas. While I have a few ideas crawling around in my head like a festering storm, I haven't a group to playtest it. So it would be purely an "On paper" exercise.

Rechan said:
Just idle curiosity. There's been a few complaints about no 4e adventures, and so many seemed to like Raiders of Oakhurst. And yet, I haven't heard anyone looking to play the Heathen adventure that was posted in Dungeon.

So I'm curious: would folks use fan created adventures, posted in the Homebrew section?
I would most likely not be an early adopter, and only get interested in such an adventure is it was praised by a lot of ENWorlders.

And if so, what do you want/need/like?
Something interesting. Something funny. Something thoughtful. Something mysterious. Something colorful.

I don't know what I want from an adventure. If I had a concrete idea, I would probably do it myself. ;)

Maybe here's something:
Make something that contains multiple factions, and is open-ended enough to allow the players to ally with each faction, to fight them all, to play them against each other, or to help them work together.

Make something that requires visits of lots of strange places - maybe a hunt through the planes (Shadowfell, Feywild, Astral Sea, Elemental Chaos).

Make an adventure that's comedy. It shouldn't be ridicilous, but the situation, characters and plot has to be funny. I don't know how to pull that off... ;)

Awakened

First Post
Rechan said:
Alas. While I have a few ideas crawling around in my head like a festering storm, I haven't a group to playtest it. So it would be purely an "On paper" exercise.

Do storms fester?
Seriously, though, I probably would never use a fan's adventure. I stick to purchased adventures and ones I've written myself.

Flynn

First Post
Like others have posted, I'm interested in fan-created adventures for what I can mine out of them. No worries, I do the same thing with published adventures. Sometimes I use 95% of an adventure, sometimes only 5%. Ultimately, fan-created adventures have the added bonus that it is unlikely that my players have already played through them, or even heard of them.

So, yes, by all means, please post your adventures as you will. I will definitely enjoy using them on my players, in some form or another.

With Regards,
Flynn

I'm interested in other people's adventures, but only if they're both doing a lot of work for me, and are generic enough that they don't rely on steam-age stuff/magi-tech or the players all being goody-two-shoes types, and so on. Which I think really narrows things down, because most fan-made adventures seem to come in two basic flavours:

1) A series of combat encounters with little stringing them together and a plot that's so dull I feel my eyelids drooping whilst reading it.

or

2) An adventure that's not combat-heavy and is interesting, but has a hyper-specific and non-standard setting.

If nothing else, other people's adventures are often good for mining maps and traps from, and sometimes have remarkable ideas.

Wormwood

Adventurer
I *love* fan adventures. I may not run them, but I enjoy plundering them for ideas!

ps. Oakhurst converted the last two holdouts in our group into 4e fanboys---thus increasing the ambient positive energy of the universe.

Remove ads