• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do people really want/use fan adventures?

Is_907

First Post
MichaelSomething said:
Does anyone have good sugggestions of what are the good fan made adventures?

I just want to repeat this question... I'm really wanting to expand my passive experience of newer adventures and I really enjoy reading "unofficial" stuff to help inspire me as I write.

Rechan

Adventurer
Hrm. What I had in mind wasn't too revolutionary. A bugbear serial killer, a vermin lord and an eladrin duke of storms all trying to pursue something inside several chambers; the former two wanting to use the PCs as catspaws to clear the dungeon, while the latter wants to summon his fellows to go in after an ancestral item, but the ritual is flooding the nearby town and would have ecological aftershocks.

So there'd be a triad of villains, working against eachother or the PCs, and some dungeon.

Among other things, I want an excuse to use some converted monsters.

Last edited:

Ethalias

First Post
In terms of what use I'd have for fan created adventures, as a new DM I'm interested in how other DMs approach adventure writing, as opposed to the slick professional efforts of published adventures. I'd run it if it stood out to me and made me want to play it. Otherwise it all contributes to the collective learning experience!

As far as what sort of adventures I'd look for, self contained, high-flavour, adaptable (to one's own setting), with an original use of existing material or, if it seems well done, something entirely new. Something that can be slotted in as a side/environmental/interlude quest, or modified to fit into a campaign arc. Anything too involved or with unnecessary/poor quality fluff would be a turn off.

And there you have my 2 cents.. :)

[EDIT] If it's a dungeon or extensively dungeon-based adventure, the map construction needs to be good. If it's more free roaming/investigative then the story needs to be good, and there needs to be enough intrigue to propel the adventure forward. Of the two I'd probably use the former to pilfer resources, and the latter either as is or steal the concept and bend it to my uses.

Last edited:

cr0m

First Post
Eosin the Red said:
I always like homebrew adventures - even if I only mine them for my own adventure ideas or to spur my creativity.

Caveat --- they must be reasonably legible with a well thought out story. No quick slap job of 5 minutes work.

Yes/yes! I like fan adventures.

Caveat -- they must not have a very detailed set up or elaborate backstory, or I can't slap them into my home game.

Scribble

First Post
Something I'm working on for my home group if anyone cares! :D

An Oni has kidnapped a group of children in order to sacrifice them in a ritual designed to drain the magic energy of a portal to an ancient dungeon in the feywild into a source of residuum.

Characters trying to track the children will see signs of a struggle, and if they fail a skill challenge be lead off to an old cabin... The cabin is home to a werewolf who keeps inself in solitude strugling to overcome his "evil" nature... He saved one of the children, but the child is injured...

Characters who either don't rush in to attack, or ralize their mistake, and attempt to make peace, can befriend the werewolf, and possily gain something? magic item? I dunno yet...

If they make it to the portal in time to stop the Oni, they can save the kids, and then possibly if they want, explore the feywild dungeon.

helium3

First Post
I wonder if new DM's or those that only run modules are more likely to use fan generated material?

Seems like most experienced DM's also like to generate their own stuff? Is that even true?

Graybeard

Explorer
While I usually come up with my own adventures, if I saw one that I liked, was well written/thought out, and very interesting, I would likely use it. Sometimes due to work, life or what have you it is difficult to come up with something in time for the game. Pre-made adventures, whether fan made or published, are useful.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Honestly, uit depends a lot on the quality of the individual adventure. Some fan-created 'adventures' are absolute ass. For example, there's a small subset of the fan community whose 'adventures' are all built around the following formula:

Map + Monster Stat Blocks = Adventure

Anybody can sketch a quick map and randomly populate it with monsters from the MM. I have absolutely no use for or any interest in such fan adventures. Adventures with an interesting setting or story, OTOH, I love -- because not everybody can come up with an engaging reason for PCs to do X or explore Y.

So, I'm all for adventures that give my players (or me, if I'm playing and not DMing) a compelling reason to do things. I'm completely against simple maps populated with totally random monster encounters that have no compelling reason to exist in a given game world, as I feel that such content is largely wasted space in any publication.

Remove ads