D&D General do subcultures have different stories infused into them?

do subcultures have different stories infused into them?

• no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
do subcultures have different stories infused into them?
and example are the different types of elf or gnome? or does a race only ever have one story?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
a race is a mechanic, an aesthetic, a story and some fourth thing but do wood elves have a different story to high elves?

In Tolkien, for example, the various groups of elves have very different stories, and they seem to be the inspiration for several types of D&D elves.

Mind of tempest

In Tolkien, for example, the various groups of elves have very different stories, and they seem to be the inspiration for several types of D&D elves.
I am needing to ask for my homebrew as I was unsure if that was a thing.
any idea what stories are the elves in 5e anyway?

Aside the semantic debate, obviously elves who live mainly in the under dark should have different story than elves who live in the fey wild.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter

I'm not sure what it is in 5e canon. In Tolkien the high elf equivalent left the forests and went to live with the gods and were taught by them for a while and then came back (and aren't allowed to return to the gods' land), while the wood elves never went to the realm of the gods and just stayed in the forests.

In a more 5e setting you could imagine one group is more recently over from fairy and is closer to the eladrin and the other has been here longer and is closer to this world. Or maybe the high elves are descended from some courtly group of fairy while the wood elves are from a more wild and free group.

Mind of tempest

Aside the semantic debate, obviously elves who live mainly in the under dark should have different story than elves who live in the fey wild.
true but do you have any idea what the story difference is?
It's your homebrew, whatever you say is a thing is a thing.
true but I like to know what already works so I can make something that fits in and is not too strong or too weak.

For home brew it can be anything. You can even reverse usual canon from DnD, making fey wild elves raider and slaver lead by a mad archFey, and elves who live in the under dark refugee and castaway.

Remove ads