• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Do we know if they are keeping the 20 Natural score cap? What about expanded backgrounds?

From my understanding, when they first discussed the Inspiration mechanic in Legends and Lore last year, Inspiration points are awarded when a player roleplays in line with their Ideals, Bonds, and Flaws when it may cause an obstacle to completing the party's goals -- the Inspiration point is supposed to, at least partially, offset the hardship he's causing to the rest of the party with a mechanical perk.

HMMMM.

So if he inconveniences everyone but himself, he gets bonus points?

Yeah I hope they've changed that.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
This normally something I try not to point out...but...

Some DMs have been doing this for ages.

Did you think I was implying this wasn't the case? I was merely commenting on ways I want to improve my campaigns in the future.

Same. It's a flaw I've known about in my own campaign plotting for a couple of editions now. I tend to make stories that increasingly ramp up the immediate threat factor.

I'm hoping to use this new mechanic to help me implement a campaign structure that has eluded me previously.

Thaumaturge.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
There was no intent to slight either of you ( [MENTION=1927]Thaumaturge[/MENTION] or [MENTION=80924]fjw70[/MENTION] ) in any way or fashion. I suspect I could have worded it better.

I was going for more of a "highfive" to each of you.

Probably should stop pointing it out in conjunction with discussion points, it always seems to give the wrong impression.

Sorry.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
There was no intent to slight either of you ( [MENTION=1927]Thaumaturge[/MENTION] or [MENTION=80924]fjw70[/MENTION] ) in any way or fashion. I suspect I could have worded it better.

I was going for more of a "highfive" to each of you.

Probably should stop pointing it out in conjunction with discussion points, it always seems to give the wrong impression.

Sorry.

Ah, well, in that case.

Highfive! :D

Thaumaturge.

Dausuul

Legend
As far as I know, they're keeping the 20 cap on abilities.
I would be very surprised if they didn't. It's essential to bounded accuracy, which is a big part of the design.

Although it's worth noting that the cap is not quite absolute in the playtest. A Belt of Giant Strength can take your Strength above 20. However, a Belt of Hill Giant Strength only gives you 21, which is functionally identical to a 20, and every other type of BoGS is Very Rare or higher.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
I would be very surprised if they didn't. It's essential to bounded accuracy, which is a big part of the design.

Although it's worth noting that the cap is not quite absolute in the playtest. A Belt of Giant Strength can take your Strength above 20. However, a Belt of Hill Giant Strength only gives you 21, which is functionally identical to a 20, and every other type of BoGS is Very Rare or higher.

Yep. Same way it was in 1e too. The girdles of giant strength could boost your Str above the normal max of 18 or 19, all the way to 24 (storm giant).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads