D&D General Do We Really Need Multiclassing?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
As I noted upthread, 3.X’s multiclassing rules were my favorite iteration. A large part of that was the sheer variety of ways you could create a martial spellcaster, especially those of the arcane variety. I even did a database style thread about arcane ones (link in my sig).

Why?

Because in FRPG games, I generally- but not always- want my characters to have some kind of supernatural ability without the use of gear. It could be class based or species based or ancestry based. Sure, I do sometimes play completely “mundane” PCSs, but they’re an exception to my usual playstyle.

Now, in all honesty, those supernatural abilities were not all based in multiclassing- some were based in other mechanics like feats or templates. Some of them were (or in the cases of unplayed ones, would be) a blast to play. But those other mechanics have never been easy or well-supported IMHO.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I hear multiclassing is optional, but I've never met a player who viewed it as optional. Does everyone allow mutliclassing in their games? I don't like it, but I've never restricted it.

I allow it, but nobody I've run for has felt a need for it in 5e. They've been satisfied with the breadth available in race, background, class, subclass, and feats.

That said, it should be there for the cases where players really want to play around with mechanics, or want to reach for a character type that isn't available otherwise.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I like having the option to multiclass, a character in playing at the moment is an eldritch knight who, after 7th level, is now delving into wizardry to learn more about magic, I intend to continue down the path of wizard for the rest of his career which I wouldn't really be able to do without mylticlassing considering the limitations of the eldritch knight.

Horwath

Legend
That's similar to one category of my many attempts. I think the balance is fairly good, but after I came up with it I realized what I didn't like about it was it still left characters further behind in their class features for most of their career than was satisfying to me (based on my AD&D multiclassing preferences). Being able to cast 7th level spells at 20th level was alright, but not being able to cast 3rd level spells until 8th level wasn't very satisfying to me.
well, some price needs to be paid for more abilities.

Sure 3rd level spells will be at level 8, but half casters got it at level 9 so it is little bit faster, and if you take full caster with halfcaster combo, you will have full spell slot progression, at 8th level you will have spell slots of 8th level caster, but you will have 3rd level full caster and 2nd level half caster spells available. But upcasting could remedy that.

The designers for both Pathfinder 1st edition and Level Up put in enough class features into each of the base version of their classes so that their players wouldn't feel the need to multiclass. ;)

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I hear multiclassing is optional, but I've never met a player who viewed it as optional. Does everyone allow mutliclassing in their games? I don't like it, but I've never restricted it.
If I ever run 5E again banning multiclassing will be the first house rule. With all the subclasses that effectively blur the lines between classes already, there’s no need for multiclassing beyond broken power gaming nonsense.

ECMO3

Hero
If I ever run 5E again banning multiclassing will be the first house rule.
That is not even a house rule. Multiclasses are "optional".

In terms of the rules, banning multiclassing is no different than banning flanking or encumberance or marking or a host of other optional rules that are banned in most games.

ECMO3

Hero
Sure 3rd level spells will be at level 8, but half casters got it at level 9 so it is little bit faster, and if you take full caster with halfcaster combo, you will have full spell slot progression, at 8th level you will have spell slots of 8th level caster, but you will have 3rd level full caster and 2nd level half caster spells available. But upcasting could remedy that.

This is not true. You will have less slots than a full caster of 8th level. For example if you are a 4th level Wizard, 4th level Ranger you have the same spell slots as a 6th level full caster or 11th level half caster. You will only have spells of 1st and 2nd level available (and only 1st level for Ranger).

Remove ads