Do We Still Need "Oriental Adventures"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orientalism -- a wide-ranging term originally used to encompass depictions of Middle Eastern, South Asian, and East Asian cultures -- has gradually come to represent a more negative term. Should Dungeons & Dragons, known for two well-received books titled "Oriental Adventures," have another edition dedicated to "Eastern" cultures?

[h=3]A Brief History of Orientalism[/h]For a time, orientalism was a term used by art historians and literary scholars to group "Eastern" cultures together. That changed in 1978 with Edward Said's Orientalism, which argued that treatment of these cultures conflated peoples, times, and places into a narrative of incident and adventure in an exotic land.

It's easy to see why this approach might appeal to role-playing games. Orientalism is one lens to view a non-European culture within the game's context. We previously discussed how "othering" can create a mishmash of cultures, and it can apply to orientalism as well. The challenge is in how to portray a culture with nuance, and often one large region isn't enough to do the topic justice. The concept even applies to the idea of the "East" and the "Orient," which turns all of the Asian regions into one mono-culture. Wikipedia explains the term in that context:

The imperial conquest of "non–white" countries was intellectually justified with the fetishization of the Eastern world, which was effected with cultural generalizations that divided the peoples of the world into the artificial, binary-relationship of "The Eastern World and The Western World", the dichotomy which identified, designated, and subordinated the peoples of the Orient as the Other—as the non–European Self.

Game designers -- who were often admitted fans of Asian cultures -- sought to introduce a new kind of fantasy into traditional Western tropes. Viewed through a modern lens, their approach would likely be different today.
[h=3]The "Oriental" Books in D&D[/h]The original Oriental Adventures was published in 1985 by co-creator of D&D Gary Gygax, David "Zeb" Cook and François Marcela-Froideval. It introduced the ninja, kensai, wu-jen, and shukenja as well as new takes on the barbarian and monk. It was also the first supplement to introduce non-weapn proficiencies, the precursor to D&D's skill system. The book was well-received, and was envisioned by Gygax as an opportunity to reinvigorate the line -- ambitions which collapsed when he left the company. The book's hardcover had the following text printed on the back:

…The mysterious and exotic Orient, land of spices and warlords, has at last opened her gates to the West.

Aaron Trammell provides a detailed analysis of how problematic this one line of text is. The sum of his argument:

Although Gary Gygax envisioned a campaign setting that brought a multicultural dimension to Dungeons & Dragons, the reality is that by lumping together Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Mongolian, Philippine, and “Southeast Asian” lore he and co-authors David “Zeb” Cook and Francois Marcela-Froideval actually developed a campaign setting that reinforced western culture’s already racist understanding of the “Orient.”

The next edition would shift the setting from Kara-Tur (which was later sent in the Forgotten Realms) to Rokugan from the Legend of the Five Rings role-playing game.
[h=3]Controversy of the Five Rings[/h]James Wyatt wrote the revised Oriental Adventures for Third Edition D&D, published by Wizards of the Coast in 2001. It was updated to 3.5 in Dragon Magazine #318.

Legend of the Five Rings, a franchise that extends to card games, is itself not immune to controversy. Quintin Smith got enough comments on his review of the Legend of the Five Rings card game that he included an appendix that looked critically at chanting phrases "banzai!" at conventions and some of the game's art:

Now, I have no idea if this is right or wrong, but I do know that chanting in Japanese at an event exclusively attended by white men and women made me feel a tiny bit weird. My usual headcheck for this is “How would I feel if I brought a Japanese-English friend to the event?” and my answer is “Even more weird.” Personally, I found the game’s cover art to be a little more questionable. I think it’s fantastic to have a fantasy world that draws on Asian conventions instead of Western ones. But in a game that almost exclusively depicts Asian men and women, don’t then put white people on the cover! It’s such a lovely piece of art. I just wish she looked a little bit less like a cosplayer.

Perhaps in response to this criticism, Fantasy Flight Games removed the "banzai" chant as a bullet point from its web site. The page also features several pictures of past tournament winners, which provides some context as to who was shouting the chant.
[h=3]Fifth Edition and Diversity[/h]By the time the Fifth Edition of D&D was published, the game's approach to diverse peoples had changed. Indigo Boock on GeekGirlCon explains how:

Diversity is strength. The strongest adventuring party is the most diverse adventuring party. Try thinking about it in terms of classes—you have your healers, fighters, and magic users. Same goes for diversity. Different outlooks on life create more mobility and openness for different situations. Jeremy also explained that it was crucial that the art also reflected diversity, as did Art Director Kate Erwin. With this, they tried to make sure that there was a 50/50 split of people who identify as male and people who identify as female in the illustrations.

Trammell points out how these changes are reflected in the art of the core rule books:

First, there are illustrations: an East Asian warlock, a female samurai, an Arabian princess, an Arab warrior, and a Moor in battle, to name a few. Then, there are mechanics: the Monk persists as a class replete with a spiritual connection to another world via the “ki” mechanic. Scimitars and blowguns are commonly available as weapons, and elephants are available for purchase as mounts for only 200 gold. Although all of these mechanics are presented with an earnest multiculturalist ethic of appreciation, this ethic often surreptitiously produces a problematic and fictitious exotic, Oriental figure. At this point, given the embrace of multiculturalism by the franchise, it seems that the system is designed to embrace the construction of Orientalist fictional worlds where the Orient and Occident mix, mingle, and wage war.

A good first step is to understand the nuances of a region by exploring more than one culture there. Sean "S.M." Hill's "The Journey to..." series is a great place to start, particularly "Romance of the Three Kingdoms."

D&D has come a long way, but it still has some work to do if it plans to reflect the diversity of its modern player base and their cultures...which is why it seems unlikely we'll get another Oriental Adventures title.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

In my opinion, Cergorach is right that we don't really want/need accurate cultural representation. What I think people are usually far more interested in but mislabel as "accuracy" is respectful cultural representation. For one thing, when you are obviously inspired by real life cultures like in the OA books (or Tomb of Annihilation), but throw those cultures into a blender with a bunch of other junk and pour that slurry into a book - that's certainly not the best way to do it.

Related to that is something that is often more subtle (although sometimes it's outright blatant like again with ToA and that line from Gary), is that these books are often written specifically from the outside about this other exotic place. So, with the Forgotten Realms for example, there’s this feeling of the “real” FR being over here, and then these other cultures are over there – Maztica, Kara Tur, Chult, Zakhara, etc. Your core D&D characters can go over there to visit these exotic, different people. Why do these cultures have to be over there, and not just integrated with the world as a whole? (Especially since all of these fantasy D&D worlds are equally foreign to most of us 21st century folk. Ninjas are no more exotic than wizards to our current lives.)

So as much as I loved the earlier OA, I think going forward we really, really do not need a new OA. However, as WotC has already been doing a bit, we really, really need that content mixed in with everything else. There’s no reason core D&D needs to be focused on pseudo-European fantasy realms and then make all of the pseudo-other-people fantasy realms into add-ons. It’s all fantasy and unrealistic and fun! So, for example, preferably no Al-Qadim and no Oriental Adventures, but instead these areas should be treated like core Forgotten Realms.

A

Antal Molnár

I understand your point. BUT I will never will accept is as an excuse.

1. It is a max 10 minute research in google that a jambiya is a slashing weapon, not a piercing weapan. In and old school libry it is 30 minutes extra while you drive there.
2. Why can be Tales of the Caliphate Nights or GURPS Arabian Nights or Mythic Constantinople (Christian/Islamic setting) correct?

Sorry, in harissa not a dish, but a hot chili pepper paste in Arabiya. ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harissa

Last edited:

Al-Quadim was never about real Arabic culture, it's about the stories we were told/shown/read in the west.

I think this hits one of the nails that I was rambling about on the head. Sure, that may have been ok when I was a kid, but this is the 21st century where the world is far more interconnected and these games have matured with that to be no longer aimed at just a very narrow and specific demographic (and even that demographic has matured to have broader interests). Now they can be inspired by the stories people in the Middle East tell themselves, and people in Japan tell themselves, and so on. Rather than Western (and often specifically American) stories about them, many are far more interested in learning about the stories various people told about their own past.

Yeah, it's all make believe and far from accurate, but relying only on classic American tropes about other cultures at this point is, at the very least, lazy writing.

Last edited by a moderator:

A

Antal Molnár

The problem is that Al-Qadim's authors as same superficial about 1001 nights (not about islamic world) as Cergorach in searching harissa. :) A good example for this superficiality. :)

"More than a fifth of respondents said Agrabah — the fictional city from “Aladdin” — is a real part of the Arab world. An even higher proportion — 38 percent — would be happy with a US travel ban on citizens of Agrabah should they be proven a threat." :)

Source: http://www.arabnews.com/node/1093246/middle-east

Last edited:

GreyLord

Legend
Perhaps instead of the older usage, create a game called Japanese Adventures (which is what a Lot of Oriental Adventures was about anyways). If you want more Japanese heritage in it, ask for an actual individual from Japan, perhaps a professor of Japanese History to help influence and help write it.

I love the period and RPGs based in it, so obviously I'd love to have something like that. I'd say Japanese Adventures would probably be the most popular in the west currently, but after that you could create other focused RPGs such as something on China Adventures or the Middle Kingdom Adventures (or some other such things).

Same as with the Japanese adventures, get a Chinese Professor of Chinese History to help write it and focus it correctly.

PS: I actually created the 5e Old School and Oriental Adventures on DMs guild. Little known trivia fact, one of the individuals that helped me put it together is a HUGE fan of AD&D Oriental Adventures...that individual is actually also Japanese. He absolutely loves OA as one of his favorite AD&D additions.

He didn't care for the 3e version though, and doesn't play the legend of five rings games...not sure if that's because it's not something he's interested in or any other reason.

SMHWorlds

Adventurer
The Journey to series has been a great project (and its not done! I promise). I have learned a great deal and hopefully others have been interested, The idea is for it to fire imaginations. They have not been perfect, but I do my best. And I think that we are headed in a better direction as a whole, the hobby and industry and society, than we have but we obviously still have a long way to go.

Cool article. I personally feel like it is time for a game or setting that visits other cultures in a more authentic way.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
I understand your point. BUT I will never will accept is as an excuse.

1. It is a max 10 minute research in google that a jambiya is a slashing weapon, not a piercing weapan. In and old school libry it is 30 minutes extra while you drive there.
2. Why can be Tales of the Caliphate Nights or GURPS Arabian Nights or Mythic Constantinople (Christian/Islamic setting) correct?

Sorry, in harissa not a dish, but a hot chili pepper paste in Arabiya. ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harissa

Whoopie, a mistake on a weapon in a D&D book! That's not unique to the jambiya... ;-) Anyone who's wielded a knife before or done something with knifes in self defense classes knows that even a normal knife isn't just a piercing weapon, but often a slashing weapon as well. When you look at the jambiya, you know that the off balance point is going to be a pain to pierce with, it can happen, but not it's primary function. Honestly, no biggy imho. Lazy, sure, but not a biggy.

As for Tales of the Caliphate Nights or GURPS Arabian Nights or Mythic Constantinople... A Christian/Islamic setting has no place in Faerun for one. Second, Gurps often does very good historic fantasy settings, Al-Quadim is NOT a historic fantasy setting, it's a purely fantasy setting with some cultural references... The same goes for the other two.

Why don't I hear outrage that Dwarves and Medusae are tossed together in the same setting like some kind of melting pot!?!? Because one comes from Nordic mythology and the other comes from Greek mythology, completely different cultures... We accept this, we don't make any negative associations with the different cultures from where we pull the fantasy content.

What people seem to forget is that we are different, often the difference with our neighbors can already be large. What about cultures on the other side of the world? The Japanese and Chinese also give their own meaning to western cultures in fantasy (or even reality). Look at westerners in Chinese, Taiwanese or Japanese TV, movies, comics or Anime. And if you watch a lot of Anime, you'll not only notice that there's a huge difference in pacing and story in Chinese and Japanese anime, even if it's dubbed in another language. The same is true for UK vs. Nordic. vs. French storytelling. And when the Dutch are represented in Anime/movie, they are exaggerated in what we are/were. I don't find that offensive, I find that comical.

Now, what I do find offensive is that when you ask an average American where the Netherlands is located, they don't know. When asked where Amsterdam is, some think of New York others only know it as the modern babylon where drugs and prostitution are legal...

RotGrub

First Post
There is already a game for this on the app store, it's called the WP 5000.

You take a picture of yourself and then, merely by analyzing the color of your skin, it tells you how guilty you are for all problems, across all times and places. You can configure it to monitor your social media accounts, and have it automatically reduce your guilt level each time you virtue signal. And if that isn't enough, there is a chance you can win general absolution for an entire week by writing a blog/ article.

My hope is that they eventually find a way to read and modify our thoughts automatically. Our brains could then be updated with new word definitions (as prescribed by the PC magisterium) in real time.

Feel free to change the name if you must, but the OA setting is fine. It's a representation of a style of fantasy, not a representation of reality. I don't get upset when the Caribbean pirate cosplayers shout "huzzah" to the unicorns at the renaissance faire, either.

I would be more concerned if someone could show serious, systematic examples of the OA books being used to promote racist behavior. If the biggest controversy you can find is that someone was offended by white people shouting "banzai", I'm going to have to consider that the people complaining might be more prejudiced.

I couldn't help but notice that after my last post, the thread right below this thread was this one:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?623152-When-Fantasy-meets-Medieval-Europe

Literally, taking the exact map of Medieval Europe and overlaying it with D+D fantasy. Working in the Dwarf kingdoms alongside real monarchies, deciding how magic relates to the Christian church, and explaining how North America is actually Elven territory. This is just one way that we deal with "Western" culture. Everyone has fun, no one is offended, and there's an understanding of what it means to indulge in fantasy. There's nothing wrong with treating "Eastern" culture the same way. The amount of actual history in any fantasy setting can vary, but as long as that history is treated respectfully there's no reason to pretend it's so sacred that it can't be played with a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases