Do WotC people still post on ENWorld?

Vayden

First Post
Been a couple of years since I was here (new edition obv dragged me out of the woodwork). Do Mearls and people like that still post on here? Have we seen them responding at all to any of the stuff on here since the announcement?

foolish_mortals

First Post
my guess is yes they do but you may not know it. Always be suspicious of extreme boosterism for a product whether its here or on the WOTC board or anywhere. We need to be skeptical of the 100% 4th editioners just as we would have to be skeptical of the 100%ers of 3rd, 2nd or 1rst. There could be one or there could be many. We have no way of knowing. But their out there, have no doubt about it. Waiting, watching... putting the superior favorable post in a thread. It's just part of the marketing apparatus. Sometimes it might be a means of internal leverage when there's a political battle going on. All we ordinary mortals can do is give our praise and dissent. Be ever watchful.

foolish_mortals

Dice4Hire

First Post
my guess is yes they do but you may not know it. Always be suspicious of extreme boosterism for a product whether its here or on the WOTC board or anywhere. We need to be skeptical of the 100% 4th editioners just as we would have to be skeptical of the 100%ers of 3rd, 2nd or 1rst. There could be one or there could be many. We have no way of knowing. But their out there, have no doubt about it. Waiting, watching... putting the superior favorable post in a thread. It's just part of the marketing apparatus. Sometimes it might be a means of internal leverage when there's a political battle going on. All we ordinary mortals can do is give our praise and dissent. Be ever watchful.

foolish_mortals

Wow, paranoia is the order of the day!

I think the WOTC people rarely psot here, perhaps closer to never these days. You can see them on the WOTC boards more, of course, but I am not sure how of ttehn they post.

I think it is far less than they used to post.

mkill

Adventurer
[MENTION=6687896]foolish_mortals[/MENTION]: Be careful, they're after your monthly gaming budget.

WotC employees have been spotted on all kinds of RPG boards, under identifiable or well-known nicks. I'm pretty sure they'll read a thread or two here, especially now that listening to feedback is company policy :p

However, I see several reasons why they wouldn't want to post:

* People will bombard them with PMs about their pet peeves. And I'm sure they don't want to hear again that 5th edition needs a Bladesinger or else.

* Everything they post will be dissected and overanalyzed. A simple "we fought a lurker" quickly turns into "OMG MOSNTER ROLES CONFIRMED FOR 5TH EDITION!!1!"

* If your job is D&D, I'm not sure it really feels like free time to hang out at RPG boards on the weekend.

foolish_mortals

First Post
guys I have few doubts that there paying some teenagers minimum wage to go around and work against doubts about the game(s) and dig against criticisms. It's cheap and effective way of boostering sales. If you want to conjure up tentacled monsters attached to WOTC then do so. Advertising is everywhere and in everything. ENWorld could be funded by WOTC for all we know. There's public facade and then there's the stuff going on behind the scenes. That's just they way life is.

foolish_mortals

Jack99

Adventurer
guys I have few doubts that there paying some teenagers minimum wage to go around and work against doubts about the game(s) and dig against criticisms. It's cheap and effective way of boostering sales. If you want to conjure up tentacled monsters attached to WOTC then do so. Advertising is everywhere and in everything. ENWorld could be funded by WOTC for all we know. There's public facade and then there's the stuff going on behind the scenes. That's just they way life is.

foolish_mortals

Seriously? I know you are new here, but honestly, it's already getting old. If you have so little faith in WotC and how they are doing things, why do you spend so much time in this section, posting about a lot of subjects?

Hmm, come to think of it, maybe YOU are the undercover spy from [rival company that shall remain unnamed], trying to discredit 5e and WotC....

mkill

Adventurer
guys I have few doubts that there paying some teenagers minimum wage to go around and work against doubts about the game(s) and dig against criticisms.

That technique has a name, it's called astroturfing. But with such a vocal, net savvy customer base like the D&D community, any attempt like that would be marketing suicide. Even with WotC's past track record, they can't be that stupid.

Halivar

First Post
That technique has a name, it's called astroturfing. But with such a vocal, net savvy customer base like the D&D community, any attempt like that would be marketing suicide. Even with WotC's past track record, they can't be that stupid.
Also, astroturfing is a technique employed by cash-strapped internet star-tups, not $4 billion corporations.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
There used to be one or two, pretty decent folks (lookin' at you, Rouse).

In the months leading up to and just after 4e they stopped showing up, I think.

Folks were not happy about PDFs being pulled, licenses being pulled (especially Dungeon), the GSL, or some attitudes. While there were some vocal fans of 4e (some of them sane and rational, others less so) the general attitude was combative.

Also, I think that the actual ranks of the D&D staff had been thinned, there was likely not enough time to post, especially if folks expected followups. And if you were likely to be asked questions that you couldn't answer....

The Auld Grump, like Ford being asked 'why did you pardon Nixon?!'...

Remove ads