D&D 5E Do you allow a spell to be identified before counterspelling?

Do you allow the player to know the spell cast before they counterspell?

• No, they can either counterspell or identify the spell as it is cast, not both.

• Yes, I tell them the spell and they can then decide whether to counterspell or not

• Something else

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
So, counterspell is coming up more and more in my group. I've been letting the spellcasters know the spell cast before counterspelling.

But I'm thinking of stopping that. Basically they know a spell is cast, and they have to decide whether to counterspell before knowing it (This is per Xanathar's).

Thoughts on either way?

In theory, I run it RAW: you only know that a spell is being cast and need to decide form that alone (and the broader context) whether to counterspell.

In practice, I will sometimes say "The lich casts fireball..." and allow the players to interrupt with a counterspell even though they have more knowledge than they "should." This has never felt like a big deal to me.

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
In theory, I run it RAW: you only know that a spell is being cast and need to decide form that alone (and the broader context) whether to counterspell.

In practice, I will sometimes say "The lich casts fireball..." and allow the players to interrupt with a counterspell even though they have more knowledge than they "should." This has never felt like a big deal to me.
That's how I ran it. Never realized how it is RAW. Interesting!

If they have detect magic active they gain the rune of the spell and a rough level (1st-2nd, 3rd-5th, 6th+). The rune of the spell is based vaguely on the RuneQuest runes: haste is tied to Movement, shield to Stasis, magic missile to Death, &c. If not, their passive Arcana may give them this information depending on the level of the spell. Under no (current) circumstances do they know the exact spell and level as counterspell is a reaction. They don't have time to analyze what is happening.

(Currently I am transitioning from an AD&D game to 5e. Therefore this a untested translation of how I do things.)

Oofta

Legend
The person counterspelling doesn't know the spell or the level it's being cast at is how I've always run it.

That was supported by XGtE

Identifying a Spell​

Sometimes a character wants to identify a spell that someone else is casting or that was already cast. To do so, a character can use their reaction to identify a spell as it’s being cast, or they can use an action on their turn to identify a spell by its effect after it is cast.​
However, it's not really spelled out that I know of in the PHB.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
My dm usually describes the spell so I don’t need a check. But I said “something else”

I allow an arcana check to see if you can recognize it. The dc depends on the tells. (Lack of V, M, S makes it harder).

I just don’t get why it would be one or the other. If you recognize it, you’ll counterspell it. Maybe it’s lack of time? Idk.
The theory is:

recognizing the spell is a reaction (per Xanathar's)
Countering the spell is a reaction

You don't get both (You can tag team - have one player recognize and another counter).

The person counterspelling doesn't know the spell or the level it's being cast at is how I've always run it.

That was supported by XGtE

Identifying a Spell​

Sometimes a character wants to identify a spell that someone else is casting or that was already cast. To do so, a character can use their reaction to identify a spell as it’s being cast, or they can use an action on their turn to identify a spell by its effect after it is cast.​
However, it's not really spelled out that I know of in the PHB.
No arcana check? Just automatic?

if that’s the case I still like giving them an opportunity to figure it out with an ability check. If they fail, they can still try to counterspell. If they want to be 100% sure, they can use the (re)action.

-> that’s my house rule.

(see, I’m learning from other threads)

Arial Black

Adventurer
I use the 3e rules here, because the 5e PHB has no guidance and the Xanathar's rules here are totally stupid.

As long as the counterspeller can see (somatic component) and/or hear (verbal component) the baddy casting the spell, the counterspeller can make an Arcana check (DC 15+spell level) to identify the spell, no action required.

Last edited:

Remove ads