Do you allow electronics at your gaming table?

Do you use electronic aids (tablets, laptops etc.) at your gaming table?

• Yes, everybody uses or is permitted electronic aids at the table

Votes: 378 61.4%
  • Yes, but only the GM uses electronic aids at the table

Votes: 80 13.0%
  • No, electronic aids are not used at the table but are used for character creation

Votes: 71 11.5%
  • No, electronic aids are not used at all

Votes: 87 14.1%

RichGreen

Adventurer
Most people in my groups use their phone or tablet as a character sheet]
People get distracted with them sometimes. But to be fair, they would get distracted without them anyway.
I think this is true - the player I have most guilty of this would be staring at the pub TV, into space etc, if he wasn't faffing around with Candy Crush.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
We're all adults. We understand the social contract that surrounds our getting together for a game.

We've also been using laptops since the 2E Core Rules CD-ROM so we have some history with electronic devices....

Dahak

Explorer
I once had an experience with a GM who when I came to a game with a loaded iPod touch (character sheet, books, dice roller) stated that he did not allow electronics at his table. I smiled at him, got up shook his hand and thanked him for his time and left. Everyone looked stunned like they couldn't believe someone would do that. I deal with enough luddites in the real world, I have zero patience/tolerance for it in my leisure time.

Evhelm

Explorer
Traditionally, we played our games only with print materials. When 4e came out, we tried using the character creator on DDI, and did enjoy that. Of course, then, all our games were in person. Now we play all of our games on Roll20. Usually this is by requirement: the six of us live in 3 different places hours and hours apart. Even when we get together for games entirely in person, we still use the Roll 20 interface, meaning that everyone has an electronic interface.

Usually this isn't a problem at all. The biggest distractions are usually when our resident macro writer is trying to solve a code problem and misses some key part of the plot or combat. Though, once or twice he also got distracted playing Civilization: Beyond Earth :p

When we are entirely in person, we even use extra devices by throwing the game board onto a big screen TV so that significant others or family who happen by can see the action and the DM can physically point things out for a change :)

Last edited:

P

PaulofCthulhu

Yes, but only the GM.

[video=youtube;3i6lYayqwoY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i6lYayqwoY[/video]

Nytmare

David Jose
Over the years my group has thankfully managed to cull anyone who would have detrimentally attached themselves to their phone. We have had our fair share of people though. The person who refused to look up from her Gameboy and stop playing Pokemon without someone prompting her that it was her turn. Who would also them complain because she didn't know what was going on and was confused and bored. The guy who would sit back away from the table with his feet up eating sunflower seeds and reading the sports page, telling us to get him when combat broke out. The guy who was constantly asking other people if they wanted to start up a game of Magic at the table while we were all playing.

On the GM end of things, at least for D&D, I tend to run with a lot of electronic tools. My laptop has really become my DM Screen, and tend to play with spreadsheets, player monitors or projectors, and sound effects. I am also the one usually updating and reprinting players' character sheets and/or cards so there's never a reason for my players to need to use laptops or tablets to keep track of things. One of my players had tried using a combination of tablet and phone for a bit, mostly to try and run combat macros and a die roller; but he ended up abandoning it because he couldn't use it as quickly and effectively as dice.

fjw70

Adventurer
My players have used iPads, smart phones and laptops for their character sheets and dice rollers, and it hasn't been a problem. No web surfing or anything like that (at least that I have noticed or caused any issues). My only issue with a laptop is the amount of table space it takes up and is a barrier between myself and the player (I don't use a DM screen for the same reason).

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I have converted over to PDFs mostly and so have my Kindle or my wife's laptop at the table when I'm DMing.

That said, my last group had a couple of folks who had a bad habit of getting distracted during the game and got guilt-trippy and petulant when I asked them to pay attention to the game. I didn't press the issue but if/when I get a new group together I'm going to ask folks to use devices for game stuff only.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
I'm actually having an issue with my Pathfinder GM using his electronics at the table to run the game. Mostly because it's actually slowing down what would much more quickly looked up in a rulebook, or written down with pencil and paper. All of his players have electronics, that we all put away when the game starts, and only bring back out when we need a quick calculation or something.

I'm currently remaking reference cards for World Tree, putting more information on them than before, and I do intend to print them out when they meet my liking. Until then, I will use the computer to show both the old version and the new version, as well as having the physical cards that need no correction available.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Personally, I've been using PDAs or tablets to store character sheets and/or campaign info since 2003 or so, and with the advent of online tools like the SRD, my use of electronics has only increased.

That said, I don't have any RPG-specific apps on anything, and all my die rolls use the real things.

Last edited:

Remove ads