D&D 5E Do you allow fan made material in your games?

Do you allow fan made material in your home games?

• Yes

Votes: 45 65.2%
  • No

Votes: 24 34.8%

Corpsetaker

First Post
Do you allow fan made material in your games? We aren't talking about a background here or a little magic item there. We are talking about a lot of fan made stuff you find on DMsGuild, other internet sites, or things your player's come up with classes, feats, races, sub-systems etc.....

Xeviat

Hero
I'd have to take a long look at something. I'd be more apt to include subclasses, feats, and races over other things, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JonnyP71

Explorer
A big fat flat no.

Nothing is allowed until it appears in an official hardback book. So that means UA material is out too.

GameOgre

Adventurer
Allow? It would be awesome to have a player want to bring something in! If a player wanted to I would take a look at it and try to accommodate it!

Normally it's me as the DM that brings stuff in and then finds its totally ignored by the players.

I even buy books of spells to add to the game and my players hardly even glance at them.

Now maybe if there was some nice new Knuckle Dragging Monkey Thug Class that let you dual wield giant Clubs while picking the lock on a chest with your toes, they might be more interested.

Yaztromo

Explorer
Absolutely yes!
The magnificent world of Mystara wouldn't be the same without all that fan-productions! They are all very welcome!!!

seebs

Adventurer
I don't think I've ever played a D&D game without SOME kind of fan-made stuff in it. Spells picked up off Usenet, character classes players designed to fit the setting, whatever.

S

Sunseeker

Soft no. I need to vet everything that someone wants to use, and that's a lot of work. So, it's "no" in the sense that I will not automatically allow fan-made material, but it's "yes" in that I will allow it if it fits the game and it does not appear broken.

ccs

41st lv DM
The default answer is: No. You cannot just show up with whatever....

The real answer is: Bring it to me, we'll discuss it, & I'll decide.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I voted no, but from what you are saying I'm interpreting your questions as:

"Do you allow 'fan-made' character mechanics."

Because I'll import monsters and traps and other things like that all the time. And sure, bring in fluff. But you don't seem to be talking about that.

One things I'm not sure you're talking about: if I run a setting and bring in additional rules (replacement races, pantheons, weapon reskins, what have you) as part of the campaign definition, does that fall under what you are saying? Since I homebrew my setting usually it's all 'fan-made' if you want to go to that.

S

Sunseeker

I voted no, but from what you are saying I'm interpreting your questions as:

"Do you allow 'fan-made' character mechanics."

Because I'll import monsters and traps and other things like that all the time. And sure, bring in fluff. But you don't seem to be talking about that.

One things I'm not sure you're talking about: if I run a setting and bring in additional rules (replacement races, pantheons, weapon reskins, what have you) as part of the campaign definition, does that fall under what you are saying? Since I homebrew my setting usually it's all 'fan-made' if you want to go to that.

A fair point. A great deal of my setting material is homebrew and thus, "fan made". In large part, much it is simple thematic refluffs and minor changes (trolls are vulnerable to X instead of Y sort of changes). But the end result of all of this is a more unified world with interconnecting themes and traits. If a player creates something like that, or finds something like that which would work well in my setting, then yes, I would be inclined to include it, but I tend to make a strong effort to avoid "Kitchen Sink" games.

Remove ads