Do you allow third party material in your games?

Schmoe

Adventurer
Absolutely! There are tons of inspiring and interesting ideas outside of official books. The only caveats are that I (the DM) have to review and approve it, and I (the DM) have the right to amend the mechanics at a later point if they prove to be problematic. Of course I maintain that position for all material outside of core, official or not, so it's not a big change.

Zardnaar

Legend
What qualifies as "vetted?" Do you mean that you, as the GM, always want a chance to look it over? Or do you mean "it's from a reputable company" rather than "some guy on a forum"...?

Means I have looked it over. Generally DMGuild or 3pp. Usually I provide that sort of stuff anyway or a player might ask for something interesting or concept. I can do a melee fire cleric for example. Copy and paste off a forum probably not.

Last edited:

Schmoe

Adventurer
What qualifies as "vetted?" Do you mean that you, as the GM, always want a chance to look it over? Or do you mean "it's from a reputable company" rather than "some guy on a forum"...?

This wasn't directed at me, but I'll answer anyway :)

Vetted to me means that I've had a chance to look at it ahead of time. I don't really care about the source, although over time some sources acquire a reputation of being more or less consistent in their quality.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I always houserule my games to Hell and back, so I see 1st and 3rd party material as roughly equivalent-- someone else's house rules.

I am a little more careful with it, and tend to start with a position of "these books are allowed, these specific rules are banned, ask about anythng else".

Arilyn

Hero
I allow it for sure. I find that Pathfinder, especially, has very strong third party support. Lots of creativity out there that should be used and supported.

Voadam

Legend
I've used lots of 3rd party stuff in my pathfinder games. As a player I used Dreamscarred Press's psionics book and lots of spells. As a DM I allowed things I reviewed and specifically approved, generally not any sight unseen stuff though. I had a player use the Magogol race from Alluria Press and it was great. I also used lots of 3rd party monsters and modules and setting material. Lots of stuff from 3.5, 3.0, and d20 Modern as well.

Retreater

Legend
As a rule of thumb - no. I used to allow it in the 3.x era, but found so much of it to be poorly balanced (more often than not, underpowered instead of overpowered). Then it created a massive rules bloat, and we were using literal luggage and rolling carts to transport our manuals.

If you can't make your character concept from the hundreds of options in the core rules, or just tweak the flavor text with a bit of creativity, then you need to find another character to bring to my table.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases