• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape Do You Care About Planescape Lore?

Do You Care about Planescape Lore?

Kinak

First Post
Sort of like 4E halflings, gnomes, elves and dragonborn?

Sorry, no, Planescape aficionados are no different than other fans who've objected to changes made to previous versions of beloved properties.
I'm not sure if you think you're disagreeing with me.

Several changes in 4e flavor pissed people off and broke backwards compatibility. Which, if WotC's trying for a Grand Unified Edition, is exactly what they should be trying to avoid.

Making a new thing and calling them "gnomes" is just as annoying as making a new thing and calling them "modrons." I'm just talking about Planescape lore because that's the topic of the thread.

Cheers!
Kinak

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm not sure if you think you're disagreeing with me.

Several changes in 4e flavor pissed people off and broke backwards compatibility. Which, if WotC's trying for a Grand Unified Edition, is exactly what they should be trying to avoid.

Making a new thing and calling them "gnomes" is just as annoying as making a new thing and calling them "modrons." I'm just talking about Planescape lore because that's the topic of the thread.

Cheers!
Kinak
I'm well aware of the topic of the thread, thank you, and I am disagreeing with you. People got over the cardinal sin of WotC changing names and lore around in 4E. No one is particularly beating their breast about WotC's treatment of gnomes anymore, or insisting they revert to the lore of Top Ballista, Dragonlance or the 2E Complete Handbook.

But in the minds of some partisans, no planar content can contradict 14-19 year old material, even three editions later.

So yeah, we are disagreeing.

Cheers!

Cyberen

First Post
+1 Hussar, Pour, pemerton
I love Moorcock, planar stuff, ADD but I find 2E idea of Blood War obnoxious and retarded, and I can't let PS fans say their beloved setting is sooooo much cooler than everything before/after/besides that "PS is canon because it's awesome". By the way, I didn't wait for 2E to use Modrons.
PS is a setting among others, not a planar canon. I voted no.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
It's me or this is turning into PS fans bashing?
It was bound to happen, given the OP.

I'm still somewhat bemused by the anti-PS sentiment being voiced, as I can't quite wrap my head around some of it...

People got over the cardinal sin of WotC changing names and lore around in 4E. No one is particularly beating their breast about WotC's treatment of gnomes anymore, or insisting they revert to the lore of Top Ballista, Dragonlance or the 2E Complete Handbook.
Well certainly 4e gamers have largely stopped beating their breasts over its changes to lore, if they minded at all in the first place, but I'm equally certain that there are plenty of gamers who only stopped beating their breasts because the bruises were getting painful, and because nobody succeeded in convincing WotC to retcon 4e lore back to traditional lore.

Maybe I'm biased, but I agree with Pour: I don't see outspoken PS fans having any more traction than outspoken FR fans. Feel free to prove me wrong though; I don't have a horse in this race. :)

Last edited:

Planescape attracted a lot of bashers (not the good kind) from the get-go, primarily the cant-haters and those who wanted the planes reserved for high-level adventuring.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads