• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do You Consider GMing to Be Hard Work?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
"Do You Consider GMing to Be Hard Work?"

Some people say a DM is the same as a M.U.D.
A good DM is made out of muscle and blood
Muscle and blood to roll them bones
A wallet that's a-weak and a mind that's strong

You run sixteen campaigns, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the Friendly Local Game Store

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.

Too true.

- Signed, a guy who gave $60 to his LGS at lunch and might plonk down another $40 to get a NM copy of Shadowrun 20th Anniversary

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
I'm guessing within two years, I'll spend much less time in VTT prep add the products continue to evolve and when I complete the massive mega dungeon I'm running that is pretty much all dungeon crawling, with hundreds of maps to prep.

Me at 16: Yeah, in a couple of years, we'll have a sweet sounding band. We just have to finish getting some cool songs together.
Me at 26: Yeah, in a couple of years, I'll have a great screenplay. I just have to finish some edits, tighten up the plotting, and find an agent
Me at 36: Yeah, in a couple of years, I'll have my novel written. I just have to figure out a good story and really develop the characters.
Me, now, at 46: Yeah, in a couple of years, I'll have that mega-dungeon finished. I just need to plan out all the levels and then stock it.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules

You run sixteen games, what do you get
Another round of good times you'll never forget
St Peter don't you call me 'cause I won't go
I still got time to run seventeen more.

Richards

Legend
1607636230117.png

Just saying...it's an option.

Johnathan

Richards

Legend
I'm in the camp of recognizing that a lot of effort goes into running a D&D campaign, but it's the type of effort I enjoy as a DM. So if it's work, it doesn't seem like work.

Johnathan

The various places I've lived, that's not the case. They come with a truck and dump it in a pile where you request it. Perhaps some will stack it for you if you pay extra, but it isn't a basic part of delivery.

It does not burn the same way if it is left in that pile, buried in snow, encased in ice, and wet.

Again - I've never heard anyone refer to harvest and prep as "chopping". You don't chop with a chainsaw. But whatever.

Not a lot of snow or ice where I live (or any, in fact). There is more than one climate, you know.

As to the term, I have. Living in the country, as I do, you hear a lot of terms tossed around.

What is this wood delivery service of which you all speak? You mean you don't trudge out into your yard every week with an axe and chainsaw and cut up fallen trees?

Seriously, y'all... I have a fire going all day long and still have 4 cord left.

I've got a pile the size of my garage that is just a home to rabbits. I capped my chimney years ago. A fireplace isn't all that great in Texas.

Remove ads