• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do You Consider GMing to Be Hard Work?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
See this, tbh I just don't get - and I've heard the complaint from plenty of DMs. But if it is soo much time and effort to maintain and schedule a group, why not just play with different players - who actually put some effort into playing?

Admittedly, my current group is online (but previous rl groups have been the same), but Monday night (morning for our international players) is game night. We all keep it free, and if someone can't make it, they let us know. And oif the session is cancelled this week, we'll be back on next week.

But to answer the question, the biggest "work" for me is setting up the adventure in the VTT. Actually running the session is great, it's the prep and the recap that I need to make the effort to carve out time for.
Or perhaps reconsider how you structure your games. You can organize your games to be more flexible with party makeup without throwing story and plot lines out the window. My regular group consists of adults in their mid-30s to early 50s. We have jobs, spouses, and children. I have other friends who can't commit to regular participation in an ongoing campaign, but would like to get together now and then, when they are able.

So, first, I try to structure my campaigns and sessions to allow people to miss a game, or to drop in occasionally, without anyone feeling like they are messing up the adventure or campaign.

Second, at the end of a session, we pull out our calendars and agree on the next date.

The result is that scheduling is simple, quick, and there is no stress about people missing out or bad feelings over people not "committing" to the campaign.

How this looks has changed from campaign to campaign. My first campaign after returning to TTRPGs with 5e was completely homebrew, including the plot lines, and most of the adventures. Sessions were 8 hours, long enough to finish an adventure or at least to get to point where the group was not in the middle of something that would make it difficult if a player couldn't make the next session or if a player that wasn't in this session wanted to join in on the next session. The conceit of this campaign was that months or years passed between most sessions. A new threat/opportunity brings the group back together. Or their was a long period of travel between session and the group meets up at the new locations in their quest for whatever McGuffin I set up. It was a good balance between creating an ongoing shared story and an episodic string of "one shots" that could easily accommodate both missing and drop-in players.

That campaign was similar to how we played in the 80s where we would just buy one of the thin softcover modules and run our characters through it for a session or two, with different groups of players from one session to the next. The only difference is that I was creating my own adventures and keeping to one setting and tying the sessions to overall plot lines.

Curse of Strahd was a bit more challenging, but the sandbox nature of it and the fact that there were a good number of side quests and encounters that could nicely fill a single 6-8 hour gaming session made it doable. The only time my organization style didn't work well was in Castle Ravenloft, where we did end sessions in the middle of exploring the castle. That was the only time in years where I had to struggle to make sure I was able to schedule the same group for the next session.

My current campaign is Rappan Athuk, a massive mega dungeon that takes years to play through. This style of play works very well for how we schedule games. Generally the game ends with the party completing some self-set objective and ending back at their base (they've restored and secured a nearby ruined castle). PCs of missing players are assumed to be running things in the castle and the town that's sprung up around it when they are not delving with the rest of the group. Bringing in guest-player PCs is easy without having to suspend disbelief or hand-wave. Also, every player has at least one backup PC back at the castle, so their players can get back in the game quickly if their PC dies or it unavailable for some other reason.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I don't enjoy finding new players so tend to make my players find a friend or someone ho would like to play d&d : to save myself the hassle. Generally my current group of players is pretty good at finding someone but I've had groups that are utterly incapable of doing that.

Also you have more leverage as a gm when PlayerBob's friend/coworker is joining to vet the character & say "these are the houserules, I'm sure bob mentioned some" than when you as the GM are doing it unless your poaching from one of your AL tables or something (running AL could be great for that before covid)

I enjoy finding and meeting new players. If I were retired or had a less demanding job, or if my kids were grown and out of the house, I would look to run one shots at my local FLGS. But pre-COVID, my one campaign I have time to run is run from my home, so I'm careful about who I invite into. Friends of my current group are certainly the best best.

Now in this COVID world, I'm running my games on VTT, but it is still easier to just go with with friends of friends. I've found my comfortable groove and just stick with it.

Still, I miss conventions and the occasional one-shot at my FLGS. I really enjoy meeting other fans of TTRPGs, getting to try new games, and feeling part of a bigger community.

I do think of game prep as work. Sometimes it is hard work. It's nearly always rewarding work that I look forward to. (But that's true of my paid job, too.) It's work in the sense that it requires some discipline to make time for it, clear my head, and focus. It takes some brainpower. I'm better at it when I'm well-rested and alert. There are easier ways to spend my discretionary time.

When I had fewer responsibilities in ages past, I would never balk at the workload of running a traditional tabletop rpg. I loved it and I had plenty of time and energy to spare. As a parent, now, with a more engaging and demanding career, I'm more careful with what I will commit to. I'm aware that if we schedule a game for next weekend, I'm going to need to carve out some time to prepare ahead of time. Sometimes the demands of life don't give me that flexibility. This doesn't mean that I don't enjoy the work; I just might not have time to do it.

pogre

Legend
I really enjoy it. I do put a fair amount effort into prep, but I mostly enjoy that. However, I also love my job - I am lucky. Except for grading essays it really isn't work for me.

Running a session or teaching a lesson is fun for me. I guess I do very little work in life as kind of defined by the OP.

I am one of those folks who much prefer to GM than play. I only play on occasion to be a better DM.

See this, tbh I just don't get - and I've heard the complaint from plenty of DMs. But if it is soo much time and effort to maintain and schedule a group, why not just play with different players - who actually put some effort into playing?

This has never been a problem (time & effort in maintaining a group). The key is careful vetting of potential players, as I've noted in another thread. Of course, this varies with region.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Consider a modern American - they may have a house with a fireplace. It is not required for heating the house, but very pleasant to have a fire of a winter evening.

But, that means chopping wood.
Or the premise adventure, ie grocery store purchased logs.

What about gas fireplaces? Where do they fit the analogy? Improvised campaigns with no specific prep? Most of my labor as a DM is spent making running the game easy, but even that I do little of and have instead trained myself to know how much HP/AC/to hit/damage to give team enemy, and when an unexpected fight happens I just wing it.

I’ve never needed prep for the other stuff, I can wing skill challenges without any books just fine.

So for me, DMing is barely any work, much less hard work. It’s creative, which means sometimes I haven’t the energy for it, but that’s it.

aramis erak

Legend
[...] unless your poaching from one of your AL tables or something (running AL could be great for that before covid)
Indeed. My sunday VOIP group started as my FTF group at AL. We wound up starting half an hour before the standard for the shop, and running to the same time as the others... and when we got the offer from the store to move out to the tent in the summer... that was just about the best AL play ever - we could hear each other, had fresh air, but thanks to the tent, no major wind issues, and we got to spread the game a bit by people walking by in that part of town seeing us play, and learning about RPGs. Only about 1 in 10 of those who stopped to watch showed up for AL play... but that was still new bodies showing up!

Remove ads