Critical Role Do you Critical Role?

Do you Critical Role?

• Um...what's 'Critical Role'? Is it some kind of podcast or something?

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • I've never watched a single episode.

Votes: 51 22.9%
  • Not really. It's just not my cup of tea.

Votes: 62 27.8%
  • Eh, I'll watch it every now and then, when I'm bored or whatever.

Votes: 22 9.9%
  • Every now and then, when I can find the time.

Votes: 29 13.0%
  • I'm a regular viewer. Is it Thursday yet?

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Yep. And Talks Machina, and Between the Sheets, and Handbooker Helper, and...

Votes: 21 9.4%

• Poll closed .

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
So far, the numbers show about what I expected...of 251 ENWorlders who voted, 194 of us have watched at least one episode of Critical Role (78%). And of those who have, almost a third don't watch it anymore (30%), another third watches it occasionally (33%), and the rest watch it regularly (37%).

Sacrosanct

Legend
I don't think I've finished a single episode. Probably for the same reason I don't watch anyone play D&D. Just not a spectator sport for me. I have to be involved or I'm not interested

Sacrosanct

Legend
So far, the numbers show about what I expected...of 251 ENWorlders who voted, 194 of us have watched at least one episode of Critical Role (78%). And of those who have, almost a third don't watch it anymore (30%), another third watches it occasionally (33%), and the rest watch it regularly (37%).

How do you figure? According to the poll options, up to 44%ish may have never watched an episode. The first three options are all for people who may not have watched even one episode. I voted "not really" because I've watched only about 15 minutes of one episode and that's it. Enough to know It's "not my cup of tea" as the option says. But I wouldn't consider myself to have watched at least one episode because they're what? 3 hours long each?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
How do you figure? According to the poll options, up to 44%ish may have never watched an episode. The first three options are all for people who may not have watched even one episode. I voted "not really" because I've watched only about 15 minutes of one episode and that's it. Enough to know It's "not my cup of tea" as the option says. But I wouldn't consider myself to have watched at least one episode because they're what? 3 hours long each?
I should have been more clear. When I wrote "of those who have", I meant "of those who have watched at least one episode," not "of those who have voted."

mortwatcher

Explorer
Of all the D&D shows I watch, I could not get into this one and have watched only about 30 minutes of it. It just feels too professional and animated for my taste.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
2) I listen to enough other podcasts that I'd just continue to fall further behind. Then again, I could probably use something else in the rotation to break up all the politics and history.

This is the curse of modern life, there's way more content being created than can possibly be kept up with! You have to choose the right mix for you. Critical Role is a big investment, I kind of wish they'd have their staff produce a digest version that's around 1 hour bringing in all the highlights and leaving out some of the filler.

I've listened to maybe a few dozen episodes. I've come to like the actors, and it's fun hearing players really dig into the role-playing aspects of the game...

...until it's not fun. I found the romantic subplots from the previous campaign to be tedious, forced, and wholly uninteresting (beyond the fact that I personally would find it weird to have my then-fiancee role-playing being in love with one of my friends). I find some of the detours and "character development" stuff kind of ridiculous and too soap-opera-esque for me.

On the plus side, I really admire the players for being willing to have their characters choose actions that are not always optimized for maximum impact or damage. I appreciate infusing the PCs with humanity and actual weaknesses.

I've found I get the most value out of listening to combat scenes - I learn a lot about strategy, rules, and comporting myself as a DM. Some of the worldbuilding is inspiring, too.

But I've given up on the current campaign. It feels too meandering, and there's far too much talking and RPing that seems to go nowhere.

John McDonald

First Post
I started on the 35th episode of the 1st campaign, immediately the next week, watched the first 34 episodes to be caught up. I watch every week, whether it is on live at 7pm on Thursday, the re-run at midnight or on YouTube the next Wednesday. You might say I'm fanatically addict to Critical Role!

KenNYC

Explorer
I turned it off after five minutes. I was FFing a bit before I finally gave up. There is something very artificial about playing the game not to play it, but rather to perform for others. It's like reality TV contestants never behave realistically because they know the camera is on. I just get the vibe that this isn't a real game. I half expected Jay Leno to show up and make unfunny jokes in character while the rest of the cast sheds tears from fake laughing so hard.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases