D&D General Do You D&D OSR?

Do You D&D OSR?

• I played TSR D&D when it was current and now I play OSR games exclusively or nearly exclusively.

Votes: 19 11.8%
  • I played TSR D&D when it was current and now play OSR games along with WotC D&D.

Votes: 49 30.4%
  • I played TSR D&D when it was current and DO NOT now play OSR games or WotC D&D.

Votes: 13 8.1%
  • I played TSR D&D when it was current and DO NOT now play OSR games but DO play WotC D&D.

Votes: 50 31.1%
  • I did not play TSR D&D when it was current; now I play OSR games exclusively or nearly exclusively.

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • I did not play TSR D&D when it was current and now play OSR games along with WotC D&D.

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • I did not play TSR D&D when it was current and DO NOT now play OSR games or WotC D&D.

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • I did not play TSR D&D when it was current and DO NOT now play OSR games but DO play WotC D&D.

Votes: 13 8.1%

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
EDIT FOR CLARITY: OSR games here includes just straight up playing TSR era D&D currently.
EDIT 2 FOR CLARITY: "WotC D&D" means 3.x, 4E or 5E.
EDIT 3 FOR CLARITY: This poll is only concerned with D&D-alikes. If you play OSR games and, say Dungeon World, but not 5E, vote as if you OSR but don't WotC.

This thread an poll is only intended to get a sense of what portion of EN Worlders play D&D OSR games, how exclusively, and when they moved to them. I will do my best to cover the broad bases in the poll questions but of course I am going to miss some nuance.

Also justa note: I am talking about D&D adjacent and inspired OSR games here. I am not dismissing Traveller, T&T or Marvel etc... OSR games and community, but I want to focus on D&D-ish-ness here.

Last edited:

payn

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
I occasionally dip into DCC and/or Forbidden lands so I marked played when current and play both now (5E also occasionally), but im not sure if frequency was to be considered?

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I occasionally dip into DCC and/or Forbidden lands so I marked played when current and play both now (5E also occasionally), but im not sure if frequency was to be considered?
Not really. It seems like too hard of a thing to include in the already convoluted options. The question really needs a survey rather than a poll but I don't know of a good way to make one.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Supporter
So, this is interesting to me. Partly because OSR is so nebulous today!

I played a modified Chromatic Dungeons (an OSR game for more modern tastes made by our very own @Sacrosanct ) and I have used OSRIC but primarily play modified Moldvay and 1e when I go back.

Then again, I also play FKR/rules-lite variations of the games that would qualify from time-to-time, although most of my rules-lite is one-offs that are a little more ... weird.

darjr

I crit!
I’m playing Basic Fantasy now and will probably continue. I’ve played and run OSRIC/AD&D 1e and OD&D as well.

Does Pirate Borg and Mörk Borg count?

I have and will continue to play and run all kinds of things but 5e or things that lean as complex are off the table for a while.

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads