• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you DDI?

Do you subsribe to DDI?

• I have an annual subscription

Votes: 155 53.8%
  • I periodically subscribe on a monthly basis

Votes: 26 9.0%
  • I used to, but have stopped

Votes: 56 19.4%
  • No and never DDI

Votes: 36 12.5%
  • Another poll choice

Votes: 15 5.2%

• Poll closed .

Scribble

First Post
Except for the offline access, I'd like to think all that functionality will be added back in, it's just not out at the time of the current release. We're really just getting an in progress product mainly because they need to put the content out there, don't want to put any more effort into the discontinued CB, and their bigger concern is official play, so it's natural that house rules and customization would be low on the priority list.

I don't think all these features will be added in say next month or two (except maybe export), but in the next 6-8 months we should see a few more features.

I know they're planning to release a book of sort of how to build your own classes and powers and stuff... I wonder if they plan to time a house rule tool release for the same time?

It would be cool if something like that was integrated into the DM's tools... then all linked together so the DM could create whatever, and add it to the list of stuff his player's could pick from.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
So two reason really as middle too should have been part of the offline builder if they had stuck with that. I'm personally having a hard time with the last one as well since you can't customise the character sheet layout like you could with the old builder. You can't even customise what weapons are displayed on the power cards.
That's fine with me. The only reason I customized the old sheet is because I didn't like it as much as I like this one. It's clean and well organized. The old sheet is great when you make a character by hand, not so much when the computer does all the calculating for you.

That said, I have heard that the sheet was uncustomizable until now. Where did you hear that?

I'm doubtful from what we have heard but it would be something worth asking.
I'm an optimist. E-tools turned out o.k., I have faith in the CB.

no offline access
Yep, I already covered that.
no export except as a print to PDF
(so gone is saving offline and anyway to transfer between you and the GM, gone is the clipboard view which was great for discussing characters online)
What is this clipboard view you speak of? I've never used it.
20 character limit
Covered with the "no export" bit.
no house rule support at all.
I never used the houserule support function. In fact, I consider it essentially to not have any.
no editing of items.
Fine with me. Again, houserule support was so bad, I never used it.
no customizing power cards to show multiple weapons
Where did you read that?
no interactive character sheet (with checkboxs and editable regions).
Where did you read that? That said, I've never used it.
no copy/paste information except in text entry fields.
I'm getting the impression that you and I use the CB in radically different ways. What are cutting and pasting from?
current character sheet formats miss important information like Paragon Path, alignment, XP (on the Essentials sheet)
You can always write it on the sheet, if you want it. The XP box on the old sheet was next to useless, as it was only big enough to hold one number.

Be nice if it was, no evidence of that yet, lots of evidence that it has reduced functionality.
It comes out Tuesday. All my questions will be answered then.

Here's how I use the CB: I make a PC, make sure that "house rule" icon isn't on, and then print it for use. I mostly DM, the only time I opened up my players PCs in the CB was to print them out. Color, usually, double sided.

Sometimes I'd have someone who forgot their character sheet and use their laptop. While I never forbade it, I never liked it.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
By way of explanation, Clipboard is the application that Windows uses for copy/paste.
Yeah, but the quote it "gone is the clipboard view which was great for discussing characters online." I've seen clipboard viewer programs, but they were for the information in your local computer, not a method of sharing information online. If all you want to do is cut/past info into a chat box or email program, why can't that be done from a PDF file? Or type it? It perplexes me.

It's possible that I'm just really behind the times.

Ryujin

Legend
Yeah, but the quote it "gone is the clipboard view which was great for discussing characters online." I've seen clipboard viewer programs, but they were for the information in your local computer, not a method of sharing information online. If all you want to do is cut/past info into a chat box or email program, why can't that be done from a PDF file? Or type it? It perplexes me.

It's possible that I'm just really behind the times.

CBC has a "copy to clipboard" button on the summary page. That is how many people have posted their character summaries here, for example.

CAFRedblade

Explorer
Had annual sub, disabled auto-renew, have till Nov 30 to do initial evaluation on the Online Character Builder. I will also re-evaluate once more of the functions I want are added.

Bagpuss

Legend
Where did you read that?

Anything I've listed I've learned from WotC staff responses to questions on their forums. If you need me to dig about for the actual quotes I will.

I'm getting the impression that you and I use the CB in radically different ways. What are cutting and pasting from?

To be fair not all the features I've listed I used myself, but I know others that did. The point is it has lost functionality, it will effect some people more than others depending on which functions they used.

I myself would edit magic items and re-skin them, change the descriptions and such to make them more in keeping with the setting.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
Anything I've listed I've learned from WotC staff responses to questions on their forums. If you need me to dig about for the actual quotes I will.
Nah, after I replied, I dug around for info on the boards and found the relevant info. I don't spend a lot of time on the WotC boards, so it took me a while.

Message boards suck as a way to store information.

darkwing

First Post
Had annual sub, disabled auto-renew, have till Nov 30 to do initial evaluation on the Online Character Builder. I will also re-evaluate once more of the functions I want are added.

Same. I am not planning on re-subbing at the current offering. Truthfully, CB Classic (or whatever they're calling it) is good enough for most things and the additional content a new subscription will offer just isn't worth the price for me.

That being said, a cheaper price would probably pull me back in. A working useful VTT (not just an announcement :hmm:) would also pull me back in.

Remove ads