Do you find it hard to find games?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Could anyone point out some sites for finding gaming groups? The group I play in isn't playing nearly often enough for me, and I'm in a decision stage as to what I intend to do about it. I'm trying to decide between just trying find a few more friends to recruit, or joining an additional group that is already active. (I considered, but decided against, starting my own group.)

Click on "Find A Game" in the menu bar, put your location in, and see who's nearby.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Well, I'm able to fill a table when I advertise among my friends that I'm GMing.

Apparently, however, it turns out I'm the only GM in Toronto. Like, the only one I know. I've tried through Meetup sites, but I can't pay people to run games that I'm able to join. I've advertised for GMs for my group with that in mind, btw, so I can play with my fave players on a given date, but no takers respond. Lots of promises from people I know, but nothing's panned out. Odd, as I'm a parent, husband, etc, and have several writing projects, and can still find the time... Meh.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Here, roll20 and the Paizo forums are good places to start. The Fantasy Grounds forum if you have FG.

I would say that half my online groups, me running them or not, crumble if it goes beyond a one- or two-shot but those that don't are are really very enjoyable. And my German site has all sort of indy games going on, although I don't always find the players for some of the games I would want to try. But I keep trying.

It is really great that Australia has gamers because I can mostly play in my mornings ;)

Now scheduling my around the table groups has become way more complicated since my hospital stay - seems once you can't be there for a while people quickly pick up new stuff, but for some of them we are restarting now and the rest is coming back together.

Unfortunately the Find a Game link returns a "Could not determine latitude and longitude for specified address." It doesn't matter what address I put in (I tried a couple former addresses to check) or how wide of a search area.

Elf Witch

First Post
Yes I do. Some of it is the fact that I no longer drive and public transportation is very bad in my area. The other problem is there are not a lot of gamers and we are spread out over a huge area. Even if I had a car there would be issues because of how much gas costs. I used regularly drive to Miami to game back in 2003 but now that is entire tank of gas and 55 dollars that is to much. I have been considering online gaming but I have been hesitant because the few I tried fizzled out.

I don't know that I could say - our current group has (in one form or another) been together 20 years. This particular line up for at least 8 years.

The fact that I and the wife both game, so even if a group wasn't found, we'd keep playing, also has an influence.

Unfortunately the Find a Game link returns a "Could not determine latitude and longitude for specified address." It doesn't matter what address I put in (I tried a couple former addresses to check) or how wide of a search area.

It doesn't seem to work if you put in a ZIP code. I finally took it out and got some results, but only if I searched on Dallas, rather than the suburb I live in. Doing that gave me a huge number of results, even when I limited it to 5 or 10 miles, so it was fairly useless. They need to add in the ability to search by type of game within the geographic area you give it.

I run a game every Tuesday night (a homebrew steam punk right now but we mostly do D&D) and once a month I run a Mage (owod) game. the weeks I don't run Mage we play rifts or D&D... so I play twice a week.

However I will add we have lost a lot of players over the years. There was a time when we had 5-6 games a week running (not all of us in all of them) and 2 different games Saturday night in the same area... at that time we had more then thirty players/DMs today less then 2 dozen.

D&D games have gotten pretty hard to get regular D&D going... our schism started in the 90's when larry ran what he then called 3e D&D (Skills and powers, Spells and Magic, and COmbat and tactics) and half of us didn't want to use the minis he was... it got worse when 3e came out and some if us upgraded and some didn't. Come around to 4e and pathfinder and everything went boom.

Today I know groups (that once counted as one group) that play
2e still
2e with lots of add ons
3e with heavy house ruleing
3e/3.5 with some house rules
pathfinder RAW
Pathfinder with trail blazer and a boat load of house rules
4e raw

so D&D games are hard to get together (and why I homebrewed a D20 steam punk game) because we don't all see eye to eye. If I want to play 4e I have to coordinate with a combo of 6 people... If I want to play 2e I only have 5 people I could do this with... and we are all busy.

biotech66

Explorer
I guess it depends on how much support you get from your local gaming stores. I love loving games, so if I can find a store to host I'm in. I'm in Jackson, and I didn't see a whole bunch of living games going on so I just started some. Took a bit ( a few months), but we're about at the point where we need to consistently run two games of DnD encounters. PFS is also taking off. Now to get Arcanis and 13th Age up and running....

Remove ads