D&D 3E/3.5 Do you get the impression more people have left 3.5 for 4th?

PhoenixWings

First Post
Hey- New to the board as an official member.
Just curious to read some opinions.

I don't spend much time on D&D forums, but a quick background- I started off w/ 1st ed. back in the day, stopped playing for a while, then picked it back up when 3rd ed. came out, then moved on to 3.5. That was my last switch.

Based on your own games and/ or reading forums in the last 3, 4 years, do you get the impression most 3.5 & earlier players made a permanent switch to 4th?

SuperJebba

First Post
I have to agree with the above posters. I know that I have invested hundreds of dollars in 3.5e books and I have no interest in investing hundreds more in a new edition.

Moreover, I feel like classic gamers are kind of annoyed how much like an mmo 4e is.

Dandu

First Post
Most? Hmm. Many did, not sure if it >50% though. Possibly.
And good riddance, the tossers.

Admin here. Hey, guess what! It turns out that our prohibition against edition wars doesn't magically disappear when you post in the Legacy forum. Who knew?

Don't do it again, please. PM me if this is at all unclear. ~ Piratecat

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexander123

First Post
No, and the most likely reason is because people spent hundreds of dollars on the 3e/3.5 and they don't want to spend hundreds of dollars more like SuperJebba said. That is the reason why I didn't bother with 4e.

shadzar

Banned
Banned
Definitely not. With Pathfinder matching sales of 4th edition as some say, then odds are some people are using Pathfinder products for 3.5 games.

Those that didn't switch to 4th and not buying Pathfinder to use with it, are probably playing 3.5 quietly out of the way like those playing other older editions.

CuRoi

First Post
I always look at the "Viewing" statistic when I check out the boards.

Right now the legacy and Pathfinder threads have about 280 viewing. The two 4e threads have about 220 viewing.

It's always fairly even, so at least the demographic here seems to say that there's a slim gap between the two.

One thing I would suggest is more players have shown up to 4e, I'm not sure more DMs/Players have made the "switch". So in essence, I think they did create a game that appeals to a broader market but they lost the core of their hobbyists. 4e is alive in the brief "Encounters" sessions run at game shops and the like, and I think as the rules sort of paint it, it works well as a quick one-shot miniatures type of game that has broader appeal.

The older systems still reign in the story telling / DM department IMO and so haven't been replaced (if that was their intention). It's comparing apples and oranges in many ways.

Remove ads