D&D General Do you have any table rules regarding die rolls?

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
You actually have to roll the dice.

I had a fellow player who would drop his dice without it rolling. He strangely got high results almost every time...:rolleyes:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
If you can't hit the table, you can't hit the orc.

This and Yora's table rule seem really harsh! I mean, if you had someone who was regularly throwing the dice around the room, I'd get wanting to curb their behavior, but everyone is occasionally clumsy or some other factor (like a weird ricochet) can mess with a clean roll. Not sure penalizing someone for that without that potential context is in the spirit of sportsmanship (while someone who throws their dice around is also not being very sporting).

Yora

Legend
I don't think I've ever seen anyone accidentally drop a die while rolling. It always happens when someone throws a die across the whole table and really should have known it happens.
And really, it's just a missed roll. The penalty is just a gesture of mild annoyance.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I don't think I've ever seen anyone accidentally drop a die while rolling. It always happens when someone throws a die across the whole table and really should have known it happens.
And really, it's just a missed roll. The penalty is just a gesture of mild annoyance.

Huh. Just goes to show how experiences differ. Except for a handful of times when people were being purposefully obnoxious in high school or college, every single die that has ended up on the floor since then has been completely unintentional and not because the person was throwing dice recklessly.

In my experience, if a completely hypothetical person says "the rest of the house is clean, I don't need to clean those dust bunnies under the couch for company, no one's going to see it," there is a 100% chance that somehow a rolled die will end up precisely there.

Huh. Just goes to show how experiences differ. Except for a handful of times when people were being purposefully obnoxious in high school or college, every single die that has ended up on the floor since then has been completely unintentional and not because the person was throwing dice recklessly.

Retreater

Legend
I also do "it's a miss if it rolls off the table" - though I usually start with a warning. I've had too much "hyper-die-rolling" that our group has actually coined a term for it. People getting up, searching for lost dice, disrupting the game, making people get off their seats, searching under furniture and bookcases, taking three times as long to make a die roll because they can't hit the table. It's rude, and if you can't control yourself, you miss and we move on.

jgsugden

Legend
1.) If you know what the result was, use it. If not, reroll.
2.) Don't cheat.
3.) Don't use dice that damage my table.

If I feel a player is cheating, I passively let them know I'm aware. It if persists, I talk to them about it. If they continue to cheat, we talk about options, which start with continuing to cheat and leaving the group.

I've never needed more than those little bits.

We reroll all dice that fall off the table and dice that land cocked.

Whoever is DMing can choose how they wish to roll (in the open, secret, secret with fudge sauce, etc).

We all know what is and isn't cheating when rolling dice. We've never had to spell it out besides rolls off the table and landing cocked. The benefit of a group that has gamed together for a while.

When playing on Roll20 the rule is you accept the first appropriate roll. So if you forget to turn off advantage for a roll you get to reroll in the way you were supposed to. If you type in 1d6+4 and it should've been 1d8+4 you reroll. But if you type in 1d8+3 when you meant to roll 1d8+4 we just add or subtract the appropriate amount as the random aspect has already been handled.

Remove ads