Do you like D&D or do you like RPGs?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I like a variety of RPGs, but D&D (some variation thereof - currently Pathfinder) sits at the top as favorite.

Stormonu

Legend
D&D is the one I know the best, but it's not the one I like the best. I've fiddled with a variety of RPGs now and D&D is now high on my list for disliked RPGs - mostly for the level element and that it is not a skill-based system.

I'd still play it if I was asked, but right now Star Wars D6, World of Darkness and especially Savage Worlds rank far higher on my go-to list. And having just read FATE, I suspect I'd like that system a lot more than D&D.

Janx

Hero
I find that a number of my friends only play D&D because they don't want to process a new set of rules. They "know" D&D. They like other settings and genres but not other rule-sets.

This defines it pretty well for me and most of my friends.

As I have gotten older, my interest in learning new game rules has waned. Primarily because my free time has diminished greatly.

We can get a lot of variety out of D&D, without needing to learn anything new. That's a handy for us.

innerdude

Legend
D&D is the one I know the best, but it's not the one I like the best. I've fiddled with a variety of RPGs now and D&D is now high on my list for disliked RPGs - mostly for the level element and that it is not a skill-based system.

I'd still play it if I was asked, but right now Star Wars D6, World of Darkness and especially Savage Worlds rank far higher on my go-to list. And having just read FATE, I suspect I'd like that system a lot more than D&D.

Substitute The One Ring for Star Wars d6, and Burning Wheel for World of Darkness, and this is nearly identical to my thoughts.

I'll play in any D&D / d20 system game someone else was willing to run, but a group would have to literally beg, on bended knee and replete with sugary goodies for bribery ;), to get me to GM any d20 fantasy system not named Fantasy Craft--and even then, I'd still rather run Fate or Burning Wheel instead.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I like RPGs. But I also like gaming in general. I go to boardgaming conventions/gamedays as much as RPG-oriented events. I also go to wargaming conventions. Probably I would describe myself more as a tabletop gamer, since I do little console gaming/CRPGing/MMORPGing.

Last edited:

howandwhy99

Adventurer
D&D is a strategy game that ramps up in difficulty as you play and can last for 1000s and 1000s of hours. The more you work at it the better you get.

So yeah, I like D&D better than most any other game. Most just don't have the design chops to compete against it.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I'm a lover of RPGs, and have shelves and shelves of games i've never had a chance to play, or only play a couple times a year at conventions. My group's main poison is D&D, or i should say Pathfinder,a nd it takes a lot of work to get 'em to try anything other than that. Main reason they give is lack of time to sink into learning the ins and outs of other game systems. I'd like to game more locally in other systems, but I enjoy playing with my current group more ( and the biweekly we do now matches my current life schedule well) so Pathfinder it is.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
As I have gotten older, my interest in learning new game rules has waned. Primarily because my free time has diminished greatly.

My wife (sending me a bit of a signal, I think) gave me the Shadowrun 5th Edition Rulebook for X-mas. I discovered my personal interest in diving into the rules, and finding out how they've changed, and how the new ones work and what they're good for, is all still very high. Surprisingly so. With the book right there, I'm eager...

Time, however, is still an issue. While I want to bury my head in the book and not come out for a day or so, I just haven't had the opportunity.

jcayer

Explorer
Time and effort do seem to be big contributors. My group all grew up on D&D. It took a fair bit of effort to get them to try Savage Worlds and we've been hooked for a while now. A new system was intimidating to them, but once they got the hang of SW, they were sold since the complexity of 4E was getting to them. I just love that I can prep in very little time.
I guess, in the end, my group are RPGers, who thought they were D&D'ers.

Remove ads