• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you like D&D or do you like RPGs?

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Like so many other, I like RPGs and play/run mostly D&D. We had - with differnet groups - several stints with other systems, but always returnd to D&D.

D&D is like your comfy chair at home which you can come back to, sit down, and know how it feels. Which is peculiar, by the way, as there are big differences between the versions. There still seems to exist some core values or parameters which remain recognizable.

Balesir

Adventurer
I wouldn't even confine it to RPGs - I like games in general. I count myself as a Gamer, period.

There are lots of games - many of them roleplaying games - that I like. The group that I have gamed with for years have roleplayed using several versions of D&D (including a rebuilt-from-the-ground-up "D&D" written while at university), DragonQuest, Traveller, Star Wars, Bushido, Call of Cthulhu, HârnMaster, GURPS, World of Darkness (with modified Theatrix rules, because the WoD rules suck boulders), Pulp Action vs the Nazis, Talislanta, Arabian Nights inspired RuneQuest III and more besides. We vary GM, play focus and system all the time - variety, as they say, is the life of space...

Serendipity

Explorer
Put me down as another one firmly in the "I like RPGs" camp. Make no mistake, I love D&D, but it is only one of many games I enjoy. (I'm also fond of Traveller, Eclipse Phase, and Savage Worlds, to grab a few examples) And not the only fantasy game either, as I also love Stormbringer, other BRP/RQ games, and others.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Definitely rpgs. Anything that one would cite to differentiate D&D from rpgs in general is an element that probably doesn't interest me.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I (and my group) are definitely for RPGs, in general - I run a Deadlands game, and play in a Star Wars Saga Edition game. When I started my campaign, the one request I got from the players was to avoid basic fantasy, as everyone had played a lot of that recently. So, they do certainly like to mix it up.

sheadunne

Explorer
I find that a number of my friends only play D&D because they don't want to process a new set of rules. They "know" D&D. They like other settings and genres but not other rule-sets.

Another set of my friends can't settle on a game to save their lives. They bounce around from game to game like a pin-ball-machine.

Myself, I like rules and I like a variety of genres so I'll run/play in just about any game at least once, but my history lies in D&D and it always calls me back (although sometimes to different editions).

Remove ads