D&D General Do you like LOTS of races/ancestries/whatever? If so, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reynard

Legend
To me, this sounds like an r/rpghorrorstories in the making.
Ridiculous. You seem to think a GM is the employee of the players. That's absolutely not the case. It is a group activity but it is one that is assymetric in regards to work input. A group is absolutely entitled to play what they want to play but they don't get to force a GM to run a game they want to run just because the vote is 5 to 1. Instead, that's a group that should be a GM and 4 players.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Consensus, discussion, voting, random chance if you really feel like it, consulting an expert or independent third party. All the usual ways by which social groups determine what should be done besides autocracy.
What if there is no consensus? If the players want something the DM doesn't want, and no consensus can be reached, no majority vote or roll of the dice is going to make the DM run that game. One of the players can be the new DM, with the old DM either staying on as a player in the new game or walking. Or no one DMs, and the group comes up with a new idea everyone can agree on.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
What if there is no consensus?
Then the group is incapable of gaming together and, realistically, shouldn't have been allowed to get to the point where this became a dealbreaker.

@Hussar , the person I was responding to.
Unless you have an exact quote, or Hussar explicitly says otherwise, I'm pretty sure this is putting words in their mouth.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
If you can't accept restrictions, you're probably not going to be a good fit for my table either.

But that's okay, I accepted long ago that I'm not the DM for everyone and vice-versa.
"Let the players do whatever they want" is very clearly hyperbolic, just to be clear. Leaping from "so there's no absolute power vested in one person" to "ah, so literal anarchy" is hyperbolic and it's extremely frustrating that you somehow don't see that.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
True.

Then they would be welcome to leave and do that, or have one of them run that game. I would not even want to play in it. I would find it silly and ridiculous, and I take my RPG time more seriously than that. I want adventure and fun, certainly, but not things I would consider worthless.

When they are done, they would be welcome to come back. If someone else ran it, I would step out until they had finished and rejoin them afterwards. The same thing happens if a group wants to play a different RPG I have no interest in.
Froglok paladin in Everquest was really cool though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads