Do you like the "edgy" 3e art style?

Do you like the 3e artwork?

• I like the 3e artwork and I don't read comic books.

Votes: 27 22.1%
  • I like the 3e artwork and I read comics sporadically.

Votes: 34 27.9%
  • I like the 3e artwork and I am an avid comic book reader.

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • I do not care for the 3e artwork and I don't read comic books.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I do not care for the 3e artwork and I read comics sporadically.

Votes: 21 17.2%
  • I do not care for the 3e artwork and I am an avid comic book reader.

Votes: 4 3.3%

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I dislike 3e art and I used to be a rapid comic book fan. But as each comic began to be full of angst and monster gun wielding anti-heroes I lost interest. When John Byrne's Next Men was cancelled I called it a day.

Psion

Adventurer
Joshua Dyal said:
I clicked that I read comics sporadically. It'd be more true to say I'm a former comic book reader, though.

Ditto. Some titles/publishers have piqued my interest of late (such as CrossGen and SoulSaga), but alas, that would compete with RPGs for my budget, and you can't have that! :)

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I checked that I don't read comic books... and now I feel a little dirty.

I do read some graphic novels. I read anything I can get by Moebius (Jean Giraud) or by Jodorowski (except for the Metabarons). My wife and I are both Jodo junkies.

But I *never* considered them comic books until just now.

Ulrick

First Post
The artwork for 3e is good, but I get tired of all the flash and edginess of it.

The monsters just don't look scary and there isn't much left to the imagination.

And I read comics spordically, usually graphic novels. I think the comic industry has gone to crap, all art no decent plots.

Yep.

Flexor the Mighty! said:
I dislike 3e art and I used to be a rapid comic book fan. But as each comic began to be full of angst and monster gun wielding anti-heroes I lost interest. When John Byrne's Next Men was cancelled I called it a day.
I assume you mean rabid. I don't see what how fast you can read a comic book has anything to do with it! ;)

Sir Edgar

First Post
I don't understand your correlation logic here. Can you please explain? Does 3rd edition art look comic book-style to you? I don't know if I necessarily agree if you see some of the more "photographic" look of the illustrations out there (see Tempest in MM2-- awesome!)

Fantasy illustrations have always had some degree of a comic book look to them. Just look at even one of my own favorite artists like Jeff Dee, for example. He did a lot of the illustrations in for the 1st edition Deities & Demigods and a bunch of modules during the early 80's. Now he has his own rpg company and look at the art there (very comic book-style):

http://www.io.com/unigames/pu/index.html

Anyhow, I'm not a big fan of most of the art that's currently out there for 3rd edition, but a lot of people seem to enjoy it. I guess it looks more "modern" and "edgy", but seems to lack character to me. Some people get mad if you say you don't like the art that seems to dominate the scene right now. So, let the mob rule continue, as it always will. You can't do anything about it.

Remove ads